Premed 101 Forums

OSAP, Bursaries, and being broke.

Guest opiedog

Guest opiedog

We all seem to know how inadequate the OSAP financing can be (thank goodness for LOC's or I would have been sunk eons ago, but can anyone from any of the universities comment on what an average bursary amount might be?

Average bursary at UWO depends on the year you are in:

1st year - ~ $2600

2nd year - ~$3000

3rd year - ~ $4500

4th year - ~ $6000

Keep in mind that UWO also has the Schulich scholarships... so there are 15 people in each class that get $20000/yr continuing.

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

I was to a couple of the McMaster info sessions a few years ago, and the number that sticks in my mind is that each Mac student gets, on average, $7000. Maybe somebody who actually attends Mac has some more recent numbers?

I think there are a handful of other big-money scholarships at UWO as well. Apparently three of the '08s are receiving $15,000 per year from the Dr. Georges Lachapelle Scholarship (available to Francophone Quebecois with family still living in Quebec). I also vaguely remember reading a line in my offer letter saying something to the effect that no UWO student will be required to withdraw solely for financial reasons - the department will find some money somewhere to make sure that you get through the lean years.

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFDaNqa/HNgbK3bC2wRAj75AJ4vF+UydPkipyhaFtg9FnDwQids4ACfSIHE

1UQPzsHKuzs/xlZYWULoeq8=

=X9jz

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest satsumargirl

I can speak for Ottawa....as a first year med student who qualifies for OSAP (even if you only qualify for like $100) you will get a $3500 bursary automatically. After first year though the amount goes down to like $700 or something like that.

As a med student you can apply for interest relief type program where they will pay for the interest on your LOC, or some of it at least depending on your need.

There are of course other ones you can apply for , but those are the only for sure ones I know about.

Archived