Premed 101 Forums

four years of this, now what.

Guest Yoko

if for some reason one decided that after graduating maybe they didn't wanna jump into residency...i mean, what options does one have if they take a breather after getting their medical doctorate before starting a residency somewhere. is there a deadline from graduation. Ontario standards.

Guest UWOMED2005

Tons of options.

- take a year off to travel

- do grad school

- volunteer overseas

I've heard an argument for taking time off between 3rd and 4th year rather than after 4th year, in terms of competitiveness for CaRMS (ie making sure it doesn't look like you took time off because you didn't get your 1st choice the first go around.) Not sure if there's any basis for that argument.

The only real issue is accumulating interest on any loans you've accumulated.

well if that's the only issue you can see then i will def take a breather after i graduate. It's probabbly the most horrible thing in the world to find this out in the middle of it all. if i get stuck doing claims for an insurance company, so be it.

Guest UWOMED2005

You can be pretty much guarantee you won't "get stuck doing claims for an insurance company."*

You might not get your 1st choice for specialty, but if you're reasonably open-minded, you're unlikely to be forced to do anything you don't want to!!

* Besides. . . doing insurance claims for companies is extremely lucrative!!

Archived