Premed 101 Forums

5 year undergrad

Guest WorriesTooMuch

Guest WorriesTooMuch

Does anyone know how McMaster would calculate a GPA

based on the following academic history.

year 1 36 credit hours (6 full courses)

year 2 27 credit hours (5.5 full courses)

year 3 27 credit hours (5.5 full courses)

year 4 27 credit hours (3 full courses)

year 5 20 credit hours (5.5 full courses)

So every year except the first is just short of full time.

From what I have read, admissions say something like 'only full time years will be factored in to the GPA calculation', but this would base the entire GPA on one year, which doesn't seem right....

thanks a bunch,

jen

Guest Carolyn

Jen,

From the admissions website:

"An overall simple average will be calculated using all the degree level courses ever taken. Work of different years is treated equally. This average is calculated by the applicant on the Academic Record Form and verified on the OMSAS Verification Report which is sent to applicants. McMaster University may also review and revise this average. Supplementary courses will be considered within the context of the whole Academic Record. "

So the GPA is calculated from all courses -- if your worry is in regard to the 2 years above level one, you might want to contact the admissions office to better understand the policy.

Hope that helps.

30 credits / 5 year-long courses / 10 half-courses

is considered a full courseload at every school in Ontario - why would you think that 36 courses / 6 credits is?

Guest WoriesTooMuch

Whoa....I just re-read my post...I shouldn't post as soon as I wake [too groggy ;) ]

I should have said;

year 1 36 credit hours 6 full course credits

year 2 27 credit hours 4.5 full course credits (eg 5 courses in term 1, 4 courses in term 2)

year 3 27 credit hours 4.5 full course credits

year 4 27 credit hours 4.5 full course credits

year 5 20 credit hours 3.3 full course credits

I realize that 30 credits per year is a full course load

and knew that I was taking less than a full course load,

but for some reason I wrote in the wrong numbers (due to the morning fuzzies)

Carolyn: thank you for your reply, that would be OK if the average was just a simple average of all course work. My main concern was that years that weren't full course load wouldnt be included in the GPA calculation, or that not having every year a full courseload year, would disqualify me from admission consideration.

Guest Carolyn

I would check with the Admissions chair just so that you can put your mind at rest. They definitely include all courses though.

Be careful about calculating your average... All courses go into one big pot and the GPA is figured out on a course by course basis so that the final GPA is just an average of all of them as opposed to an average of each year. A lot of people don't realize that with Mac/OMSAS and have a different idea of what GPA is being used.

Best of luck with your application.

Carolyn

Archived