Premed 101 Forums

last years waitlist

Guest zhenlun

Guest zhenlun

ok i like queens... but the more i tell people i want to go to queens the more people tell me not to go... so i need some queens people to bring be back... someone told me that last years waitlist was exhausted and people interpret this as no one chose queens as their first choice... now i countered with uwo doesn't really reject anyone... ottawa has 2 waitlists... and mac a few years apparently dipped into their reject list...and if anyone did accept it was becuase it was their only offer... but is there any truth to all this... is there something non appealing bout queens that im totally missing... help!!!!! ps. yes i realize this is a absurd reason for not picking queens... but im ocd like that

Guest nextstopmd

Hi Zhenlun,

Congrats for getting in this year! I'm glad you didn't give up hope and that you applied again. Judging by your other posts, you seem like you are still pretty undecided about where to go.

Because you seem so worried about the number of people on the waitlist, let me offer you the following info. More people typically reject U of T and UWO than reject Queen's. Does that change things for you?

I would have to say that you should look at where you think you will fit in best and what school you've gotten the best vibe from over the past several months rather than some stat that doesn't really mean anything. For example, if only 7 people rejected Queen's last year, would that make it a better school for you to go to? Of course it wouldn't. The same holds true for the opposite scenario. Even if more people happened to reject a certain school, that doesn't mean it's not the right school for you!

I was in the same position of deciding between schools last year, and I've never regretted coming to Queen's for one second.

Hope this helps a little!

nextstopmd

Guest zhenlun

hey nextstopmd....

your totally right... i thought about it when i went to bed yesterday... and realized how stupid it was of me to even really consider that as a factor.... i guess its cause i really wanted to go to queens and then when a few people started saying that i started to think that maybe i was totally missing something... thanks so much for ur help nextstop! you've made me see the light

Guest Scared in the Woods

I think the fact that Queen's ran through its whole waitlist last year was a fluke. My understanding is that the year before they only went through the first 33 people on the waitlist, which obviously casts the school in a totally different light.

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers!

Scared In the Woods

Guest drews97

Hey,

I think it was a few more than 33 for our class, but they certainly didn't exhaust the entire waiting list. For various reasons there are year to year variations. Similar things have happened at other med schools too...for example, they exhausted the entire waiting list at UBC a few years back. Like others have said, this is by no means indicative of med school quality. Good luck choosing, and I've really enjoyed my time at Queen's so far.

• 1 year later...

Archived