Premed 101 Forums

GPA and special students

Guest Talon01

Guest Talon01

Hello All!

When Queens calculates your GPA do they use only your final year when offering admissions? I'm currently IN my 4th year right now and my GPA for my third year was 3.57 (on the button I think) and this year it's a bit higher. When I apply to Queens next year will they only look @ my 4th year marks? I DO plan on taking another year next year of just random undergrad courses. Will Queens look down upon this decision? Will Queens use my 4th year marks to decide to grant me a decision and then use my 4th year and 'special' year to see if I'm above their 3.57 cutoff?

I hope this question makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

~Scotty

Guest PhantomPhoenix

I believe it is either ur cumulative they use or the last two years before u apply...meaning that courses in the year u apply won't be used for consideration.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Talon01

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Do I need 2 years above the cutoff BEFORE applying or can I have one year above the cutoff, apply, get an interview, get accepted, finish the year of undergrad I would currently be enrolled in and if it's also above the cutoff attend the school.

Guest Ian Wong

I would contact them and find out directly. Ultimately, they are the ones who will be analyzing your situation, and will be the best-placed to advise you. Good luck! :)

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Yeah, their admissions office doesn't seem too responsive. I called them to say that I need to reschedule my interview [my Queen's and U of T interviews are in conflict] and they told me to email them. Fine. So I emailed them, and they're ignoring me...

Guest devomcd

Peachy,

I'm in the same boat as you (U of T/ Queen's conflict-March 2nd) and I also attempted to reschedule Queen's, except I went to the Admissions Office in person and was told to send an email. So, I sent the email on Monday and still no response as of today (Wednesday).

I am reluctant to confirm the U of T interview until I have this sorted out but we only have until (edit: ) February 10th do do this, as you know. I'm starting to think I should just confirm at Toronto--- I doubt if Queen's would refuse to reschedule.

Guest Ian Wong

Heh. :) This is probably understandable in that they're likely swamped right about now. Still, I'd keep calling (only email if there's no chance of getting through by phone; it's real easy to blow off an email for a while but very difficult if you are actually on the phone with someone) or emailing until you get a good answer.

I think that's ultimately a better solution than trusting what you hear on this forum; the forums are good for exchanging ideas and advice, but not so good for cut and dry technical details such as your question.

Hope things resolve quickly!

Ian

UBC, Med 4

I confirmed U of T before I even got my Queen's letter, so I'm going to trust that Queen's will get it worked out. I'm going to give them another day or two since, like Ian, I'm assuming they are swamped.

Ian - I agree that phone is the best method, which is why I phoned them ... only to be told that they only deal with it through email :)

In any case, I'm certain that this will get resolved, whether it's through them responding to my one email or me having to keep bugging them until I get an answer. It's not that big a deal.

But how they handle it certainly makes an impression on what I think of them, and on what anyone in my situtation thinks of them, and I'm sure there are lots of us. And as somebody pointed out in another thread, given that Ontario schools are having to move way down their waitlist to fill their classes, it would be awfully nice for Queen's to at least act like they care what WE think of them.

• 3 years later...

Archived