Premed 101 Forums

Kingston here I come

Guest DownUpDown

Guest DownUpDown

Hello,

Does anyone have a contact # for the branch of the bank of montreal closest to campus? Or a street name?

Furthermore, though the housing and financial thread has been extremely informative, I would like some specific information as to where a medical student should look for housing i.e. a specific building perhaps? Which street is the quietest etc...

I will be heading down on Friday to make ends meet: finances, finding a place to stay...and would greatly appreciate any insight to put me on the right track. I know "what's up doc" is probably the most resourceful for such matters, but it's nice to hear it directly from a person who can say "I've been there, done that."

Thanks, this will help make it easier for me to get better acquainted with a city that created an amazing first impression.

:)

Guest Da Birdie

Hey DownUpDown~

I was in your situation 3 weeks ago and has settled down with an apartment on brock & division~ maybe i can help you a bit be4 your trip :)

- once you arrive at kingston go to the housing office (a house very close to the main library), ask them questions if you have any and get the area map of kingston (it helps u to locate streets and measure walking-time).

- from my place (brock & division) it is 9.5 min walk to classes and 7 min walk to the main library

- area 1 (5 min walk) apartments are rare and very hard to get (cuz everyone wants to be close to school); good area 2 (10 min walk) apartments are also very competitive...so once you see an apartment you sort of like...GO FOR IT! Apartment-hunting this late in summer is almost as competitive as getting into med school :D

- 1 or 2 streets north of princess is still ok, some houses there for rent are much nicer than ones in the ghetto...but don't go further than that..if you plan to walk home late at night alone... :P

- princess street is pretty noisy.. if you like quietness then stay away from it

- do NOT live in princess towers (the hideous looking "landmark" in downtown kingston with lots of antennas sticking on top), it is infested with roaches and other stuff

- as "what's up doc" mentioned, the "east" side is nice..but few are renting to students. Those that are are extremely hard to get..

- as of 2 weeks ago, the other high-rise apartments in downtown (owned by Homestead) all have no space available for rent in september.

- ** Wear running shoes and light backpacks if you don't plan to drive in kingston during your apartment-hunting~! It's gonna be quite a walk (several K's)~!

- (aside) there are 1 Mcdonald's, 1 movie theatre, 1 bubble tea shop, 2 Chinese grocery stores, and lots of Indian/Thai/Vietnamese restaurants in downtown.

- (aside) closest KFC: 50 min walking time from campus, on princess st (west). :(

- (aside) if you wanna try, walking time to VIA train station is 80 min

Good Luck apartment hunting!!

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey Da Birdie,

By KFC, do you mean Kentucky Fried Chicken? If so, there's one in/near downtown on Montreal Street, north of Princess. It's not eat-in, but, according to the phone book, it delivers. :)

Also, for the economically-minded who don't want to lug their stuff around, the #4 bus (Strathcona, I think?) can be taken to the Via station from downtown Kingston.

If you're a bubble tea fan, I recently discovered that Mekong (a Vietnamese restaurant near Princess and Division) has a big tea selection with lower prices than the place across the street. However, I don't know how good the tea is cuz I didn't try it. Word of warning re: Mekong, though: the service is s-l-o-w...

Guest Da Birdie

Big thanx ManitobaMed~!

I'm a big KFC & bubble tea fan :P Can hardly live without them :D

I tried to wait for a bus from VIA to downtown...but according to the sign it comes every 1 hour..so i gave up and walked all the way!!

Echo the word of warning: Mekong IS slow~! Don't go when you are extremely famished / with dangerously low blood glucose :)

Guest DownUpDown

Thanks for the tips folks. I will be driving down, so I will lay-off the loud-rave clothes.

I've called a few places and the price range seems to be 750 and up. Kind of pricey, but I know from experience that if one decides to compromise security for price, they end up losing more in the end (whether it be piece of mind, things of value etc..). Perhaps I'll grab one of those pricey yet close ones (6.5 minutes from campus) and just switch next year.

Med students is on, so I gotta split.

Talk to ya soon!

Guest UWOMED2005

Guess this means you got into Queens, Downupdown. Congrats - I'm glad to hear that. Good Luck & hopefully I'll see you at FSS.

Guest DownUpDown

Thanks UWO moderator. One way or another we'll party it up. I have a lot of friends in western meds, so I'm certain we'll cross paths during the year.

:)

Guest UofCMeds2005

Just a quick bit of advice. I went to Queen's for four long years - don't live past Princess street. There are millions of places closer to Queen's! A 15-20 min walk may not seem like a lot if you are from Toronto, but at Queen's that is killer. Remember the med building is at the oposite side of campus. There is also an amazing health science library for med students in that building - so you probably won't even see the inside of stauffer (the main library). The best place to study at Queen's is in the JDUC - a very very big secret. If you explore a little - there are a tons of little rooms where you can study by yourself - or in a group that nobody really knows about it. A definate plus - especially during exam time where there isn't a seat in any library after 8am - I am not exagerating!

Guest Da Birdie

Thanks for your advice UofCMeds2005!

hm..does anybody know of any library (or JDUC) that got resnet jacks for notebook computers? If they are available, are they free to students?!

Also, U of T is setting up wireless networks in major libraries and student centers, has anybody heard any rumour that Queen's might be following the same path?!

All inputs apreciated!

Guest stylo

...is in the Pathology library. It's access coded, but if you find out what it is (I cannot tell you), it's good especially during exam time.

Also a great place to study is Biosci complex, again if you can get in after hours with key (go get a lab job).

With regards to places to stay, you definitely want an apt on Ontario st. It's where a lot of med student lives and is nice and quiet - good for studying, living.

Guest RAK2005

Meds also has a private computing room that is swipe-card access only. You'll hear more about it when you get here, but it is supposed to be full of stuff (including ethernet connections for a laptop).

• 3 years later...

Archived