Premed 101 Forums

Queen's downfalls

Guest Liana

Guest Liana

Similar to the discussion on the Western forum, I'd be interested to hear what some of the perceived downfalls to the Queen's medical program are. Were there things that you thought would be downfalls about the program, but later turned out to be advantages?

Guest strider2004

For a 4 year program, Queen's has a short clerkship. It's about 3mths shorter than UWO from what I remember. Everyone is always worried that we don't get enough clinical exposure. However, the advantage is that our elective time(time to go to other schools) happens early, February of 3rd year, where other schools often have their electives much later(if you play the UofT clerkship lottery wrong[random], you could wind up with electives AFTER yours CaRMS match).

Electives are a time for you to go to other schools and learn more about their programs and they also get to learn more about you. It's much easier to match to a competitive program when they have seen your face and know what it's like to work with you. This also happens early enough so that you can get a letter of reference from your favourite school in time for the CaRMS applications. I think the letters need to be in in November, so if you have an elective at a later date then you won't be able to get that letter.

WIth a shorter clerkship, we have a longer period of lecture. As annoying as lecture is, it does give you an extra semestre to learn about medicine. Theoretically, we've been learning for at least a semestre longer than anybody else so we should be able to hit the ground running.

• 4 years later...

Archived