Premed 101 Forums

PDAs

Guest RAK2005

Guest RAK2005

Do any Queen's first yr (or higher) use PDAs for school, class, PBL, etc. ? Just curious, as there is a ton of software out there (and I love my technology !).

Guest strider2004

There IS a ton of software for PDAs and Ian can help you with that. A lot of my classmates have one kind or another(I have a Visor) but it's not necessary for the first 2 years. The faculty is THINKING of providing clerks with PDAs in the future. I think most of my class is considering getting a PDA for clerkship. Right now, I just use mine to play games, hold phone numbers and show off in PBL(drug info).

Guest Ian Wong

If your faculty is anything like mine, this means that by the time they actually implement the decision you'll probably be in fourth year or graduated! :)

As far as PDA's go, I've posted a list of links, including a couple of reviews in the Med 3 and 4 forum below. I simply don't have time to write out a good review at the moment.

What you really need to decide is whether you want a low end one for starters, or a high end one off the bat. My suggestion, especially at your stage in the game, would be to purchase an inexpensive model, and learn whether this is something you can see yourself carrying and using on a daily basis. Right now, inexpensive = PalmOS technology.

Probably the cheapest introductory models that will do what you want them to do are the Palm 3xe and the Handspring Visor Deluxe. Both are fairly old tech, and I think the Palm 3xe might even be getting phased out at the moment. Outlay on either of these will probably be around $300.

Anyway, if you have further questions and want a quicker reply, consider posting it in the Moderator's Corner and I'll see what I can do.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest strider2004

Oh that's right. I always got picked on for taking the 'lighter' PBL homework - community health, counselling, milking cows, etc.

Guest Ian Wong

Gotta lot those community health learning issue. Heh! (not)

Sarah, I've activated your Moderator account, so any future posts you make will show that. Welcome to the forums! Do you guys have PBL throughout the first 2.5 years, and do you see each other in successive groups?

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Sarah371

Ian,

We have PBL once a week starting in January of 1st year. Alex and I just happened to be in the same group last year. They switch aour groups around every semester so you work with new people. Our group asked to stay together (because we worked well togther) but I don't think they are going to let us.

Expanded Clinical Skills and tutorials sees most of us with the same people because they just divide us up alphabetically. Clinical skills is the same as PBL except it starts in September of first year.

Is it the same at UBC?

With the small class at Queen's you get to know everybody in the class but you tend to have your core group of friends. As always the gossip grapevine allows you to know way more about people than you ever wanted to know!

Thanks for adding me as moderator.

Guest Ian Wong

Our PBL group changes with each organ block studied. Most organ blocks last approximately 4-5 weeks, so roughly each month you work with a new PBL group. We meet 3 times per week for two hours at a time. There are 8 students per PBL group.

Therefore, in Med 2, I probably switched into/out of 6-7 PBL groups, which theoretically meant that I worked with between 42-49 different classmates, although you sometimes get some of the same people over again.

UBC is like that as well socially. There's your core group of friends that fit you best, and then everyone else who you work with and know something about. Med school really is like being back in high school. Lots of "cliques" based on your personality type, age, study habits, etc... and you know more about people than they probably would like.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 4 years later...

Archived