Premed 101 Forums

Can a person apply to med school with a specific specialty in mind?

weirdity

I was curious, because I'm hoping to do psychiatry out of medical school.

Having worked with been in counselling, worked in counselling situations for marginalized populations (drug users, people released from prison) and worked as a mental health support for other students, I would really want to do work in mental health. I'm also fascinated by the anatomy of the mind (although I suspect this is more a neurology thing), but having worked in a lab, realized that my profession needs to involve people.

I've considered doing psychology, but that would involve another four years of undergrad and finances that my family and I aren't capable of. I've talked about it with my psychiatrist and other medical students, but was wondering for the board's advice as well.

So, do people often discuss what specialty they'd like to practice, or is it generally unadvisable to be so specific?

Thanks!

So, do people often discuss what specialty they'd like to practice, or is it generally unadvisable to be so specific?
I assume you are asking with reference to writing about it in an essay or talking about it in an interview? I think it's perfectly fine to have a focus, and to talk about this, as long as you have experiences to back it up (and it certainly sounds like you do). Lots of people come into medical school with a particular goal in mind. I think it's probably best to acknowledge in the context of your application, and particularly in an interview, that you don't know what all specialties of medicine entail and you're open to the possibility that medical school may change your mind.

I've talked about it with my psychiatrist
I think it's best to shy away from your own mental health issues in the context of an application. It's really none of the business of the people reviewing your application.

Archived