Premed 101 Forums

What are admissions interviews like? What are they looking for?

hp18

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Yes, they tell you the questions asked during interviews along with the required answers at information sessions, so be sure to attend those!

Oh wait, they don't. Information sessions are still good to go to if you can make it out, but they won't make the difference between an acceptance and a rejection. Most people who are eventually accepted don't go to them and end up doing just fine.

• 3 months later...

I think he/she is asking is WHAT are the interviewers trying to determine applicants have/don t have via the many questions already posted? The questions are only a means to an end, the end being the requisite characteristics/attitude for medicine.

Can any of the med students comment on what these might be? What do all of the other med students around you seem to share other than the interest and drive for medicine?

Thanks.

What is it that they are looking for the interview to tell them?

Everything the paper app. can't... :D

Aren't you glad I am so specific.

I think that every interviewer is looking for something different, often depending on their own medical experiences (given that interviewers can be doctors, medical students, administration, community members...). They are looking for communication skills, deeper insight into experiences on your application, your ability to think on your feet, personability etc.

Ultimately they are trying to take that ~1hr. and figure out if you will make a good doctor. Every interviewer will do this in a different way.

Interviewers are most likely assessing the following:

communication skills

maturity

empathy

ethical and critical decision-making abilities

knowledge of the health-care system

understanding of health determinants in a local or global context commitment to helping others

non-academic achievements

desire for studying medicine

Medicine is full of diverse personalities and people, just be yourself and hope for the best.

It's sadly true. As great as it would be if everyone was the same, and came from Toronto and has a degree in "life sci", there are laws against discrimination. So it's best just to be yourself, and hope the people who are interviewing you think you are "neat" or "hip" or "smart". Having great stories to tell, to keep them from being bored helps too.....O and bring cookies, cause everyone likes cookies!

All jokes aside did you really bring cookies? I really can't imagine walking in carrying a tin of cookies for my interviewers...

Maybe that it just me.

Haha, no I didn't bring cookies. Having said that, there are sometimes snacks for before/after the interview.

In all seriousness, I think it's important to be yourself. Reason being is that the interviewers can see through the fakeness that some bring to the party. If you haven't built a hospital out of mud in Uganda, well I guess you had better be a friendly and afluent person, who the students can hang with, who the docs can work with, and who the community can trust.

O side note to the Class of 2012 at Queen's....I like Chocolate chip.

Hey B,

Chocolate Chip it is... :D I will hopefully be interviewing at Queen's next winter as long as the MCAT goes well this May or June and I keep my marks up (hopefully the cutoff will be similar to last year).

Thanks for the advice, I agree, you can generally tell if a person is being genuine or not, especially when they are nervous...

Yes. Like many other things in life, being affluent helps. Slip the interviews a few bills on the way out the door and you're all set.

Damn! I think I missed the afluent class, or was it a seminar? Is there a study guide? Does Kaplan have a course? ... Hmmmm, I think I missed the boat...

Archived