Premed 101 Forums

48 item list

I'm not sure what i'm supposed to be putting in the description box;

option 1: emergency department volunteer-hospital for sick children

option 2: emergency department volunteer-patient flow, child care etc; then by including the verifier do i assume they know where i did the volunteering at?

You don't include the verifier in the sketch, there is a separate section for that. I recommend doing it all in excel first then just matching things up.

I think HannaLee is asking whether the location of where she volunteered at could be listed in the appropriate verifier section so that she can save space in the actual Autobiographical Sketch?

I have the same query as well.

Also, how do you match up the verifier with the Autobiographical Sketch? There is no 'box' in the Verifier section to link to the appropriate item in the Sketch.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend doing something like:

Description:

Emergency department volunteer-patient flow, child care etc (1)

Hosp for Sick Kids

Verifiers:

(1) Mr John Doe, verifier at Sick Kids

You still need to add in a way to link your verifiers to each activity and I chose the APA format since each verifier gets a number as you input them into OMSAS.

Guest canucker

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker here. In regards to multiple placements during hospital volunteering (placed in different departments in the same hospital) would that require separate entries for each? Or should they all be lumped into one ("hospital volunteer - various departments" or something similar)? On a related note, how should playing for a sports team during multiple seasons be treated - one entry or multiple entries?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker here. In regards to multiple placements during hospital volunteering (placed in different departments in the same hospital) would that require separate entries for each? Or should they all be lumped into one ("hospital volunteer - various departments" or something similar)? On a related note, how should playing for a sports team during multiple seasons be treated - one entry or multiple entries?

I think it's really up to you and probably up to your resume. If you have tonnes of stuff, combining points could be one way to put more into your 48 points. If you have 10 things, then maybe you'll divide them up so that you end up with 20.

Also, you might want to think about what you're trying to focus on. If working in the different departments of the hospital is something you want the admissions committee to notice because it was really important to you or to your interest in medicine, then separate them. If you don't really want to "waste room" putting down the seven different sports you played in high school, then lump them together.

Guest canucker
I think it's really up to you and probably up to your resume. If you have tonnes of stuff, combining points could be one way to put more into your 48 points. If you have 10 things, then maybe you'll divide them up so that you end up with 20.

Also, you might want to think about what you're trying to focus on. If working in the different departments of the hospital is something you want the admissions committee to notice because it was really important to you or to your interest in medicine, then separate them. If you don't really want to "waste room" putting down the seven different sports you played in high school, then lump them together.

Thanks Smurfette. I have roughly 30 activities so I'm still debating whether to separate or not. Cheers and good luck to you!

I'd recommend doing something like:

Description:

Emergency department volunteer-patient flow, child care etc (1)

Hosp for Sick Kids

Verifiers:

(1) Mr John Doe, verifier at Sick Kids

You still need to add in a way to link your verifiers to each activity and I chose the APA format since each verifier gets a number as you input them into OMSAS.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I was wondering, to save space, would anyone suggest to not put the word "volunteer" in the "Description" box given that I will be selecting "Volunteer" as the item category in the drop down box? Isn't it implied that I was a volunteer?

Thanks for the recommendation.

I was wondering, to save space, would anyone suggest to not put the word "volunteer" in the "Description" box given that I will be selecting "Volunteer" as the item category in the drop down box? Isn't it implied that I was a volunteer?

Anyone? I would feel much more assured to know that others who've gotten in did the same thing...

:)

Is there any way to change the order of items within the ABS? From what I can figure out it looks like items are sorted by Formal Education (earliest date to most recent), Employment ("___"), Volunteering, etc.

Can this be changed? My extra-currics and volunteering stand out more than my employment/schools I attended...and I would prefer seeing them listed first.

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

As far as I know, there is no way to change the final order of your ABS as it appears in the final version that gets distributed to the schools. Your activities will be sorted by category and chronological order automatically, according to a computer algorithm. There is nothing that you can do to change it.

I don't really see what advantage there would be to have your ECs first, but that's just me.

Is there any way to change the order of items within the ABS? From what I can figure out it looks like items are sorted by Formal Education (earliest date to most recent), Employment ("___"), Volunteering, etc.

Can this be changed? My extra-currics and volunteering stand out more than my employment/schools I attended...and I would prefer seeing them listed first.

Thanks in advance.

If your EC's and volunteering are the core of your application, they should stand out on its own by virtue of the size of that section and the content. I don't think there's anything you can do to change the dates - and you know, if you can't change it, don't worry about it :D

Good luck!

Archived