Premed 101 Forums

full course load during application as well?

hello,

i might be taking 4.5 credits at u of t and 0.5 credit at ryerson, during my fourth year (this year).

i'm wondering if this will be considered a full course load to u of t....even though the 5.0 credits are not at all at u of t.

secondly, to be eligible for the weighting system, do you also need a full course load during the year you apply? (e.g., applying in fourth year, full course load all four years?)

i just want to make sure if i have to reapply after my undergrad, i'll still have 4 years at the full course load and be eligible for the weighting system.

Hi there,

I haven't seen anything like this before, but my feeling is that if the course at Ryerson can be transfered as credit for your program at U of T, then you should be okay. If it is an extra course taken for the heck of it, then you may not have a full courseload. There is a bit of guidance on the admissions website, but just to be sure, you should probably contact admisssions.

13) I took a first year course as an “extra” course. My university will not count the mark in my GPA or the credit towards my degree requirements. How will it count in my application?

The CGPA as calculated by your university is not used. All marks from courses taken in the regular academic session will count in the GPA for application to the MD Program. If you have only four credits counting towards your degree because the fifth is an “extra,” it will still be assessed as a full course load in that session.

Please note that applicants are not expected to have a large number of first year courses when they reach the senior years.

You do not need to have a full courseload in the year you apply. U of T makes all admissions decision before they receive your transcript for the current year. If, however, you do not complete your graduation requirements, I believe that U of T could remove your offer. You do need to send in your transcript to OMSAS after your acceptance.

Offers of admission are sent to applicants in the spring or summer prior to the proposed date of enrolment. Admission may be conditional upon fulfillment of specific requirements, such as completion of one's current academic program, or unconditional. Initial offers of admission to Ontario medical schools for August 2007 entry will be sent May 15, 2007.

[Note: Don't post in multiple forums.]

Archived