Premed 101 Forums

Medicine in Canada now biased towards females?

Guest UWOmalestudent

Guest Paulchemguy

"The main reason I am going into medical school is for the money. I have no regrets saying this here on an anonymous message board. That is my true reason"

If you're going for the money, why don't you go into other professions? If you have the smarts, why don't you become a lawyer? Win some big cases and you're a biggie.

And as for the bias towards females idea.... I just think most females are just more competitve applicants. Girls seems to be able to concentrate on their tasks better.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest endingsoon
I am dropping out of university and becoming gay like Francophone.

Without trying to offend anyone, I find it really ironic that you are calling other people gay when you are the one complaining about how there are too many girls in medical school.

Guest Elliott

Not to stir the pot and I haven't read the last 6 pages of posts... but isn't there a shortage of medical professionals in Canada (among other places)? And also, isn't that shortage heavily weighted in the need for GP's? So no offense to the guys out there - but I think many people prefer female GPs over males. I am only talking family and general practice...

So then, it becomes an issue of supply and demand.

The times, they are a changin :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lekgor

Hmm, interesting topic, I faintly remember seeing a statistics from McMaster University that they took 80+ or 90+ female applicants versus 20+ or 30+ male applicants for one of the years, followed by another one or two years where more female applicants were accepted over male applicants (the difference i would say, may be 30% in these cases).

I think in some cases, the female vs male acceptance rate is somewhat "pre-quoted": what i am saying is that there may not be a "fixed" number of male or female applicants to-be-accepted but perhaps there is a conscious effort to "balance" out the "market". Of course, this is my speculation, since no one ever tells from any admission committee at any university on how things actually work ;)

I agree with some of the comments that it is a demand-and-supply phenomenon: unfortunately, this is how our world works and how our society behaves. At other universities, such as U of T, Queen's, University of Western Ontario, the gender balance seems more 50/50.

But hey, as others have said, there used to be a time when females are unjustly "left out" of medical school and I guess one way or another our social structures are trying to "balance things out".

Overall, if there are anything biased about the system, it may be that more all-round candidates (and also those who have very interesting backgrounds) are on the demand. I don't think that gender bias is too great at most of the universities.

Don't know if you agree, just my views :P

peace

Guest kaymcee

I'm sorry, but could you NOT resurrect shameful threads like this one? Assuming you read through the whole thing, you had to have noticed the trolling by UWOmalestudent and Gexar and the inherent outrageousness of the thread.

Guest lekgor

sorry, i didn't read through it :P and now i did.

i do NOT agree with the bias thing. Sorry if i offended anyone.

let this thread die in peace.

Archived