Premed 101 Forums

How many Times Can you take the MCAT

Guest linkinpark

Guest grandmellon

Hey linkinpark

that is a good question. There is some debate over this but I have heard that you can only take 3 within a 5 year time period. However, if you do more than that it is ok as long as you have just cause for doing so.

You are best to check with the mcat people first to see if this is allowed. then secondly ask individual schools as they may have their own rules.

Guest Braveheart

From what I know, you can take that exam as many times as you want. However, after the 3rd time writing it you do need a letter from the medical school advisor about why you need to re-write and you need to show them that you have been rejected from the medical schools you applied to (I think by photocopying rejection letters?). But yes, do double check with the MCAT people (AAMC) to be absolutely sure.

• 1 month later...
Guest Newbyreborn

ummm, that's not true, you may only take it once, if you want to take for more than once, you must get permission from the testing board.

go read it on their web, go to google search for mcat test

Guest Ollie

You only need to request special permission after 3 times. From the AAMC MCAT website:

You must apply for special permission to take the MCAT if you have attended three or more MCAT administrations since 1977 (whether or not the test was completed and/or answer documents were voided). Individuals who sit for the MCAT should be preparing to apply to a health professions school.

Your request should include evidence of intent to apply to a health professions school (e.g., a completed application, letter of rejection, or letter from a medical school or advisor), which must accompany the registration materials. This documentation is required each time you wish to retest.

Archived