Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS 2007 Western Personal Statement

Hi,

I'm having problems getting work down for the Western question:

"All applicants to Schu Med must submit a personal statement to explain how their personal and education background has prepared them to deal with the increasing self-study component of the curriculum in Schu Med."

(300 words max, 2000 char max)

i have done things in the past that i can comment on, but i was wondering if anyone who has gotten into Western (hell, anyone actually) can please sort of discuss how they formatted this question and made it flow.

-what are good events to mention?

-are there any key words i should try to include?

all replies appreciated :P . thanks

Heya,

First of all: this is the first year that UWO has had a personal statement that you had to write an answer for.... so, all of the current students/alumni of UWO meds that frequent this board got in without writing any answer to said question.

Second: given that this is the first year that they have required a written personal statement, the following things are also true:

1. We have no idea who or what is going to be used to score/evaluate them

2. We have no idea what the powers that be think is going to be a 'good' answer

3. The curriculum is changing so we aren't sure exactly what they are looking for in their 'new' students and how this may be different from what they were looking for before (ie when we got in)

I know this isn't a lot of help... but really, the whole thing is a bit of a black box.

• 2 weeks later...

are you guys just giving rather broad answers? or one specific example from your personal life, and another from your education background where you've shown self-directed learning.

the space is so limited, i feel like i can really only develop 2 experiences well ...at the same time, since this is the only supplemental question western sees, i'm not sure if i should make it more all encompassing and broad.

I've gone with just one personal and one educational but I agree-I wish there was a better way to say more. Character limits are for the birds:rolleyes:

You always here that you should put in concrete examples so that's what I went with. I was able to write 4000 characters-cutting it down was a b&%$

Archived