Premed 101 Forums

#5) List activities

"List activities and interests outside academic and work environments not detailed elsewhere inthe application"

I am wondering...can I talk about activities that i mentioned in the list of 48 things OR do I have mention activities that I did not list anywhere at all (list of 48+ personal questions)

I am assuming that I should talk about things not mentioned anywhere else, but I am not sure.

Can someone who goes to NOSM please answer this question and let me know how they approached it?

Much appreciated!:D

note: I don't attend NOMS- but I did get in

I found this question a great place to elaborate and go into further detail about some of the activities I wanted to list, but had run out of space in the sketch ... I think that's the whole point of this additional question- it gives you the opportunity to showcase yourself and your personality - since that doesn't really come out in the sketch (in my opinion)

I would think that if the question asks you to list the activites and interests outside academic and work environments NOT detailed elsewhere in the application that you should not include things that you have talked about in your answers to other questions or in the autobiographic sketch.

I think the point of the question is to give you a place to discuss activities that you couldn't fit into the autobiographic sketch because of space constraints and/or personal interests that do not fit into any of the categories available on the autobiographic sketch.

Just my thoughts...for what it's worth :)

I would think that if the question asks you to list the activites and interests outside academic and work environments NOT detailed elsewhere in the application that you should not include things that you have talked about in your answers to other questions or in the autobiographic sketch.

I think the point of the question is to give you a place to discuss activities that you couldn't fit into the autobiographic sketch because of space constraints and/or personal interests that do not fit into any of the categories available on the autobiographic sketch.

Just my thoughts...for what it's worth :)

In my opinion since it says NOT DETAILED anywhere else as opposed to saying NOT LISTED anywhere else, you can use activities from the sketch. The sketch only gives you enough space to state your employment/volunteer agency and maybe your job title. But it doesn't have enough space to explain what you have learned, the experiences you shared with people, etc.

Ask yourself also, how many people will have over 48 things to include in the sketch?? If you're really concerned why not omit something from the sketch and write about it. Remember just because you may have less than 48 items is not a bad thing - it's better to have a few long term items than 55 things you did for an average of 2-3 months each.

I think you have a good point mac_attack...

I think both would be acceptable: you can explain and elaborate on an item from your sketch- or you can take this opportunity to talk about additional items that were not listed in the sketch. Either way, its an opportunity to showcase who you are, and what types of things you are involved in. I found it a great place to talk about my personal interests- outside of work and school (ie: why I love northern ontario, and how its culture fits into my life and values).

Archived