Premed 101 Forums

So what happens after the interview...?

Hi there!

I'm fairly new to this, so I apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times before (and I am sure it has:)

Could someone englighten me as to what happens once you've been granted an interview at Ottawa? i.e. how are you scored AFTER the interview?

and

Is it true that if you meet the cut off you are guaranteed an interview?

Thanks so much for any insight!

M.

Okay, so this is my understanding of how the system works (Disclaimer: I am no expert, this is just the information I have heard/gleaned through the grapevine):

1. They calculate your WGPA and if you make the cut-off then your application proceeds to the next step.

2. They send the sketches out to an external company which rates them somehow. I'm not sure if you are picked for the interview on the basis of your sketch (i.e. GPA is not a factor), or sketch and GPA.

3. In January last year they emailed the interview invites.

4. At your interview three people grade you. You end up with a mark out of 4.

5. They then list all the interviewees by their grade out of 4 with a sub ranking on their GPA. The top candidates are accepted.

Hope that helps. Try and enjoy your time until January, and save your pennies, med school is expensive :) .

Hi there!

I'm fairly new to this, so I apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times before (and I am sure it has:)

Could someone englighten me as to what happens once you've been granted an interview at Ottawa? i.e. how are you scored AFTER the interview?

and

Is it true that if you meet the cut off you are guaranteed an interview?

Thanks so much for any insight!

M.

Meeting the wGPA cut-off does not guarantee you an interview. It allows you to proceed to the next step which is review of your sketch and letters of reference. Don`t remember numbers but the year I applied I think about 800-some people met the cut-off.

From there they will interview about 500 people. At the interview basically everyone is on level ground. The people with the top interview scores gain admission.

Sats

that's correct.

After your interview the three interviewers will come to a concensus on your "score" and this is the only thing used to rank you at that point. If it comes to a "tie-breaker" situation on the waiting list, your GPA is used.

Hey. Just thought I'd add that last year, 1012 (or was it 1016? Whatever, something like that) people made the cut-offs for GPA, and about 500 of those peeps got interviews. I know, because I was one of them (that made the cut-off) and just re-looked at my interview rejection letter from last year a couple of days ago!

how do they evaluate the sketch? I mean, we have so little opportunity to say anything about ourselves in that sketch, how do they go about scoring that? What seems to matter in it? The breadth of experiences? Any specific things they might look for? I just am not sure how you can score something that says so little about who we are... well, at least it seems like that to me:)

Anyone has any ideas on this?

m

I don't think anyone but the admissions folk know.

They probably assign values to things (like being on a varsity sport is worth 5, but being on a recreational team is worth 2, research is worth 3, research with a paper is worth 6), but I DON'T KNOW, I am merely speculating.

I wouldn't worrry about it, there isn't anything you can do about it.

2. They send the sketches out to an external company which rates them somehow. I'm not sure if you are picked for the interview on the basis of your sketch (i.e. GPA is not a factor), or sketch and GPA.

Hi,

What do you mean they send it to an external company? Where did you get this information? I would not beleive that the Faculty of Medicine would have an external company assess their futur students on their behalf. You sure it's not a sub-committee which are certain members of the admissions committee?

Just a thought!!!

MEDhopefull

• 1 month later...

sorry i don't have specific data for franco.. but for interviews it's proportional.. so 1/4 of the class is french.. so probably about 125 franco interviews.

the thing with the francos is that very few people get off the waitlist.. so to fill the 40 spots.. like maybe only 44 offers go out.

• 1 month later...
sorry i don't have specific data for franco.. but for interviews it's proportional.. so 1/4 of the class is french.. so probably about 125 franco interviews.

the thing with the francos is that very few people get off the waitlist.. so to fill the 40 spots.. like maybe only 44 offers go out.

Does anyone have information on how many offers of admission are sent out for applicants in the Enlgish stream?

Archived