Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts of The Gold Standard MCAT Home Study Package

Hi I am thinking about studying for the MCATs starting January. I have been researching books to study for the MCATs and reading reviews. While doing my research I came across The Gold Standard MCAT Home Study Package. The link to the package is given below.

http://www.mcat-bookstore.com/images/new_new_composite_w1.jpg

Does this book cover enough information for a student who forgot most of the he learned in science class in college? Those of you who bought this package, what did you think? Do you recommend it? What other books do you recommend and why?

• 1 month later...

I also had a Gold Standard book. I thought it was crap. Mind you, I bought it in 2001 before I wrote the MCAT for the first time.

However, I re-wrote this year and did use some of the practice exams. I also took a Kaplan course and thought that their books weren't much better in terms of organization.

All that being said, I did very well on the MCAT this time around. I would say that overall, the chances of doing well on the test drastically increase with your dedication to studying, and less so with which book you buy/course you take. Set a goal and stick too it.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

NOOOO! don't take those bs classes... such a waste of time and money... my advice is to just tell yourself you'll get a $1500 reward for killing the MCAT by studying on your own. You already know everything you need to know if you've completed year 2 of undergrad in life sciences. i bought the gold standard and thought it provided a good overview of everything you needed to know. quite breif; exactly like the knowledge base you actually need to write the mcat. i found the best prep for the mcat was buying official tests and doing those timed as though it was the real test. the 3 tests that come with the gold standard i found to be much tougher than the real tests, but they got me scared enough to study hard. depends on your personality though... if you're not very self directed, i'd suggest taking the course, although i still feel it's much more a psychological thing (oooh all the other crazy pre-meds are doing it, so i should too!) than an actual help.

• 11 months later...

Are the 10 practise CBT that the Golden Standard offers any good? Like, are they close to AAMC? I'll for sure be buying the AAMC 3-7 but everyone says practice is essential so I was wondering if the Golden Standard CBTs would be good practise.

• 1 year later...
I also had a Gold Standard book. I thought it was crap. Mind you, I bought it in 2001 before I wrote the MCAT for the first time.

However, I re-wrote this year and did use some of the practice exams. I also took a Kaplan course and thought that their books weren't much better in terms of organization.

All that being said, I did very well on the MCAT this time around. I would say that overall, the chances of doing well on the test drastically increase with your dedication to studying, and less so with which book you buy/course you take. Set a goal and stick too it.

Cheers!

Actually, the gold standard mcat is amazing in my opinion. I used it and did excellent on the mcat exam. I also tried the examkraker and kaplan and they are okay, nothing special. As someone who took the mcat using the gold standard mcat, i would recommend it to all students that are planning on taking the mcat exam. Many premed groups use the gold standard mcat - maybe because they get a group discount, but yet no complains.

I guess everyone has their own opinion, but i found the gold standard mcat very useful and helpful. The content is excellent compared to kaplan and examkraker. I looked at kaplan and examkraker books and i found those to be crappy. Too much information, half of it you dont even need to know. The gold standard outlines what you need to know- as someonementioned above. I would recommend the gold standard to students who wants a good review book for the mcat exam

Are the 10 practise CBT that the Golden Standard offers any good? Like, are they close to AAMC? I'll for sure be buying the AAMC 3-7 but everyone says practice is essential so I was wondering if the Golden Standard CBTs would be good practise.

Ya they are pretty good. I used them and liked them.

Archived