Premed 101 Forums

US Student Transfer?

Guest mkhan4

Guest mkhan4

Hi everyone, im currently entering my sophomore year at an American University, I have somehow managed to get somewhat decent marks this past year and am now contemplating on whether or not I should finish my pre-med requierments at a Canadian instituition. I am btw a canadian citizen and my family moved down here from B.C. about 4 years ago. I wanted to know if i tried to enroll in a B.C. med school would their be any residency restrictions or would i have any problems in transferring my grades ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Guest Jochi1543

If you are a Canadian citizen, you won't have any difficulty getting into a Canadian med school, period. You will be considered on par with all other applicants. All you'll need to do is send in an extra fee for processing a foreign transcript, from my impression (I'm also graduating from a US college next year and moving to BC afterwards and applying to UBC as my 1st choice), all schools charge extra for that. But it's not that big of a deal, you'll end up paying more for moving to a new university if you decide to transfer anyway.

As far as provincial residency requirements at UBC.....Please see their requirements here, they outline all possible ways for you to be considered a BC resident:

www.admissions.med.ubc.ca...&area_id=1

Unless you went to high school there, it sounds like you will be considered an OOP.

Guest mkhan4

Thanks a lot i really appreciate your reply, I was under the impression that Canadian med schools don't look very kindly upon students who completed their pre-med requirements at an American University.

Archived