Premed 101 Forums

Self Study, NO PRE REQS

mkurek

Hello Everyone,

I just finished my degree in Nursing with a GPA 3.8. I will be starting as an RN in ICU in January and I want to start preparing for the MCAT in the new year as well. My question involves what would be the best preparation for the MCAT for someone like me. My original plan, was to teach the mcat material to myself through review books/textbooks, possibly take a review course in May and write the mcat in July/August. Anyone with past experience through this route or comments on this being a successful option??? I am definetly determined and able to follow a schedule so I think this route is feasible, but I am unsure if I will get as much out of this versus doing the pre requisite classes. I am planning on applying to schools without pre reqs like U of C, so the pre reqs arent neccessarily needed. Any thoughts on this would be grealty appreciated. I am also wondering if I should return to school in the winter part time, and take bio/chem/physics. I am hoping not to do this option, but I am unsure if it might be the best.

Thanks,

Melissa

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I'm also in the same boat (sort of) and I collected vast amounts of information on the subject from people here and here is a collection of what I've come up with. It looks very promising to me:

I've ordered the Examkrackers set. And after doing EXTENSIVE research on different textbooks to supplement my studies I've settled on some excellent recommendations which I will share with you.

For each subject, I'm reading the "outline" first, then going to the Examkrackers volume, then supplementing where needed from the "textbook" (for some of the easier topics, I'm starting with the Examkrackers and then moving to the outlines/textbook) I have also supplemented my studies with Examkrackers Audio Osmosis which I highly recommend, as well as some math review for my rusty math skills):

For Biology

Outline: Schaum's Outline of Biology

Outline: Schaum's Outline of Human Anatomy and Physiology

Outline: Schaum's Outline of Genetics

Textbook: Biology by Neil Campbell

Textbook: Principles of Anatomy and Physiology by Gerald Tortora

For Chemistry:

Outline: Schaum's Outline of College Chemistry

Outline: Schaum's Outline of General, Organic and Biological Chemistry

Textbook: Chemistry The Central Science by Theodore Brown

For Physics:

Outline: Physics for Dummies (I know it sounds juvenile and most of the "for dummies" books are, but this one is excellent and is good when the Schaum's, examkrackers, or textbook are not clear enough)

Outline: Schaum's Outline of College Physics (make sure to get the "college" physics and make sure its the 10th ed!)

Textbook: Physics by John Cutnell

Textbook: College Physics by Paul Peter Urone (I have the two texts because one is totally algebra based and the other is precalculus based.)

Organic Chemistry:

Outline: Schaum's Outline of General, Organic and Biological Chemistry

Outline: Schaum's Outline of Organic Chemistry

Outline: Nuts and Bolts of Organic Chemistry, The: A Student's Guide to Success by Joel Karty

Outline: Organic Chemistry 1 for dummies (an even better outline than the Physics for dummies -- which is saying a lot)

Textbook: Organic Chemistry by John McMurry

Textbook: Organic Chemistry by Francis Carey

Textbook: Organic Chemistry by Suyan Ege (I might have spelled this name wrong)

And there you have it. I really think it can be done. The examkrackers set is essential. I have no science background at all, but you being a nursing student could probably do it all with just the examkrackers set and audio osmosis with the textbooks as back ups (i.e. you could probably skip the outlines) Hope this helps. I haven't bought the textbooks, I borrowed them from the library, but you could also probably find great used textbooks at your University bookstore.

I can't recommend Audio Osmosis enough though. I guess I must be an audio learner because with absolutely no science background (I didn't even take it in highschool), I'm already remembering so much from just having listened to the Audio Osmosis for a few weeks now. I find the science very technical, but being able to talk myself through it just like how they do it on audio osmosis makes it so much easier for me to understand than looking at a textbook AND it makes it so much easier for me to understand the textbooks!

I can't recommend Audio Osmosis enough though. I guess I must be an audio learner because with absolutely no science background (I didn't even take it in highschool), I'm already remembering so much from just having listened to the Audio Osmosis for a few weeks now. I find the science very technical, but being able to talk myself through it just like how they do it on audio osmosis makes it so much easier for me to understand than looking at a textbook AND it makes it so much easier for me to understand the textbooks!

AO is good stuff, but i find that the first time you listen, you cant be doing anything else. period. the first time even if youre typing out somrthign or doing work in the lab, you'll miss stuff if youre not absolutely focused.

after the first time, its perfect for just keeping in the car, listening while you run, while you fall asleep, whatever. just wanted to say, if you decide to get it, the first listen should be at a quiet desk with nothing else. second, with the EK books, then however you want. just my opinion. the end.

Archived