Premed 101 Forums

Laptop in undergrad

Guest CoconutSmasher

Guest CoconutSmasher

Hey guys,

As I'm an older student returning to school, I have a question regarding laptops in undergrad. Back when I was in university (I used to hang out with Fred Flinstone in the late '80's) virtually no one had laptops or pda's at school. I am a techphile and have both. However, I question the efficacy of my laptop in a classroom setting, for notes and the like.

Could any of you who have used a laptop in this capacity share experience with me as I start in September and would like to determine if it's worth lugging the thing on my bike in my backpack!

thanks for the time.

Peace,

Stuart

Guest theclevername

I definately don't think there is a need to have a laptop in undergrad...unless of course you are going to u of o. Being at u of t for the last four years, i only needed my good ol' desktop. Ultimately I think it depends on your personal style though. If you think you could take better and quicker notes in class with a laptop, then may be get one. Personally, i like scribbling things down on printed out lecture notes.;)

Guest shoopshoop

The only time I ever brought my laptop to class was in a course where the notes (powerpoint slides) that the instructor had in class were quite blurry due to lack of focus (well probably he didn't know how to focus the thing) so I could follow along with what he's pointing at (it's an anatomy course).

Other than that I wouldn't bring my laptop mainly because all the slides were posted on the internet, were clearly visible to you where ever you sit in class and also, because I type with 2 fingers:p so handwriting anything would be faster for me. But, in classes of say 150 only 4 or 5 would be using them. If you type fast and enjoy being techie then give it a try...a couple of classes with one and you'll realize whether it's worth it or not.

Just my 2 pennies...:)

Archived