Premed 101 Forums

Working for Alberta STAR as a physician?

Hey all,

I am actually not in medicine (I'm a 3rd year undergrad) but I have a question that might require the expertise of someone directly in the field. I was wondering how one would go about working for the Shock/Trauma Air Rescue team? You're going to have to forgive my ignorance by asking such a broad question, but I'm really not sure about any of the processes once you're in medicine let alone going about to work for a particular organization.

Also, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what is like to work for them? To my understanding, you have to be an ER doc [in which someone told me, you can do that by either picking family med with an ER subspecialty or doing your residency in ER]?

I've actually really been into aviation, but I had to put my flying on hold because of university (I definately don't have the money to do both at the same time), but eventually, I would like to apply for medicine, and if I do manage to get in, I figure that would a good combination. I know that STARs fly helicopters and not fixed winged aircrafts, but I can live with the compromise of just being up there in the air again :D

Anyways, thanks for the comments!

Hey there,

The STARs guys often land their helicopter in the landing pad outside our school. One of our classmates did a bit of a rotation with STAR where he hung out in the helicopter with them.

As far as I'm aware, they have paramedical training, but obviously one or more in the crew needs to be able to pilot a chopper. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Yeah, while I was in Calgary studying for the MCAT (I'm actually a Saskatchewan resident who was just doing an NSERC at the UofC), I would go to the Health Science Building to study for it, just to get a sense of familiarity of where I would be writing it, and one day I saw the STAR helicopter land, and I think at that moment I was thinking "That is what I want to do!"

Very elementary school like thinking, but oh well, I guess I can still dream on!

Hey there,

I worked on a trauma transport study in Calgary a few years back that involved STARS. Basically a flight team has the people that fly the helicopter and the medical people (a combo of specially trained nurses and paramedics and physicians). Depending on what they are going out to get, they can take a physician along or not. All the docs I saw flying were emerg docs, I think. There are occationally physicians (not neccessarily STARS docs) that go along with the fixed wing flights. If you want to get into this area early on and enjoy research, there might be some current projects going on you can get involved in.

Kels

• 2 weeks later...

Hey again,

For the past week or so I've been on a Rheumatology selective, the clinics for which are in a row of offices that are adjacent to the STARS helipad. I've been quite surprised at how busy the STARS folks are: in the space of a morning clinic they generally come in for two or so landings and transfers. Also, disturbingly, one of the docs notioned that he was a bit afraid that, one day, the helicopter would be blown into the side of the building. Good point really, as most of the other hospital helipads I've seen have been positioned on the top floor of the hospital building.

Kirsteen

Hi,

You might also consider rural medicine. I know that in places in the far north, including Inuvik, doctors routinely fly out to remote communities to do clinics.

This also happens in rural Australia.

Just another option to consider! Given my name, I am a bit biased...

Ruraldoc

Archived