Premed 101 Forums

Volunteering During the Summer vs. NSERC

FireDragoonX

Do whichever one will make you happier...because summers are supposed to be fun too, right? They're both productive ways of spending your summer, both will look good on your application, & both have reference letter potential:D

Also, my understanding is that for NSERC, they consider previous years' marks...and your final marks for the current year won't be in yet when the decisions are made. So if you'd be excited about doing research in the summer, apply for NSERC...and in case you don't get it this year, your decision will be made for you. Then you can volunteer all you want this summer, and try again for NSERC next year when you can have your current year's super-hot marks really count. Either way, you win.:cool:

I don't know the nature of your work with the Red Cross. Is the volunteer work and the research mutually exclusive? I mean, can you do both? Depending on the type of research and on how independent you are, the hours can be pretty flexible (eg. you can start earlier and leave earlier, sometimes even make up a weekday by working on the weekends) - it'd be something you'd have to talk to your supervisor about though. Perhaps your volunteer work could be in the evenings/weekends?

Maybe that won't work. Or maybe you just don't want to do that. But it's just a thought.

Agree with smurfette: the NSERC is a really nice award to have, looks real good on applications too. And of course, most research is structured with fixed hours (that you can set). I did a couple of NSERCs and found so much free time at night and on weekends to volunteer around. But as everyone said, do something you like.

so NSERC only looks at the previous years marks? and current afterwards? this would shine some light for me since i had a really really bad first year!!

It is all of your marks (you submit an unofficial copy of your transcript with an application).

Archived