Premed 101 Forums

Damn Damn Damn! (found spelling mistakes in my OMSAS app)

So.. I was reviewing my OMSAS application for fun, and noticed 2 large spelling mistakes! This sucks.

residents misspelled as residence

attribute misspelled as atrribute

wow. Both stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm pretty sure somebody said in a previous post that you could call OMSAS and have them correct the spelling mistakes.

I believe that OMSAS corrects mistakes by sending a letter to each school outlining what you want changed. It is not as simple as making the change. I would be tempted not to bring undue attention to relatively minor spelling mistakes, but that's your prerogative, and you could call OMSAS in the new year to clarify.

I'm just curious about something....would contacting OMSAS about a spelling mistake really have any impact on your written submission at this point? I know for McMaster that the ABS portion has already been marked for over a month and I would assume that the same thing would be going on for all Ontario schools. So assuming that they may have already marked your written submission...would schools really remark it based upon a couple of spelling mistakes?

By the time you get a hold of OMSAS it would be in early January and invitations typically go out the first week of February....so I'm unsure if it would even be worthwhile contacting OMSAS at this point in the admissions process.

I imagine someone reading it would think much less of the author when silly mistakes that by all means shouldn't be there are there.

To be perfectly honest, one of my major pet peeves is poor grammer/spelling mistakes. If I was reading a submission with poor grammer, it just wouldn't look as profesional to me. I'm not sure how much the spelling mistakes will effect your overall application, accept that it might not be looked at as highly by the marker.

**YES, I am fully aware of the mistakes that I made in the previous paragraph and I am only doing it to prove a point and to be slightly facetious. For those who may have legitimate difficulties with grammar/syntax, no offense intended. :)

To be perfectly honest, one of my major pet peeves is poor grammer/spelling mistakes. If I was reading a submission with poor grammer, it just wouldn't look as profesional to me. I'm not sure how much the spelling mistakes will effect your overall application, accept that it might not be looked at as highly by the marker.

**YES, I am fully aware of the mistakes that I made in the previous paragraph and I am only doing it to prove a point and to be slightly facetious. For those who may have legitimate difficulties with grammar/syntax, no offense intended. :)

Good thing you put that added note, I was about to call you out.:D

I think at this point most submissions have been read. Personally I would only deduct marks if the spelling mistake occurs in conjunction with blatant grammar mistakes. I consider it a sign of carelessness but not as significant as lack of effort (ie writing point form in essay submissios).

You mean the essays weren't supposed to be written in point form?!?! OMG, what am I going to do?!?! :D (just kidding)

Archived