Premed 101 Forums

u of t pre-reqs

does anyone know what's the deal with u of t's pre-reqs. i have only 0.5 credit biochem. do i have to take another half credit. i know other schools that let you substitute similar classes for their pre-req's. does anyone who's familiar with u of t know anything about this? is there some kind of a pre-req equivalncies sheet for u of t.

check their website....they have posted this course-equivalency

chart to make sure appicants have sufficient background in biochem...

based on their chart, a combination of BIO250 AND BCH210 does

not fulfil biochem requirement...they require students to take

a course combination of BCH210H1 AND BCH304H1.

You can trust me on this because

1) I've got this chart from UofT dentistry admissions website (which I can't

find the link now) and 2) one of the admissions people told me this (they've

also told me that the cominbation of BIO250 and BCH210 DOES NOT

fulfil biochem requirement). So yea, you should take BCH304 if u

are considering the UofT dental school.

Wow, UT DENTST CLASS OF 2010, how did u manage to get in

with your course combination of BIO250 and BCH210?

I've just had this feeling that you've fulfilled your biochem requirement

without even taking BCH304....

Or, maybe you did ur undergrad at some other university?

hit me if I'm wrong....

yeah, I do believe you are wrong, for UofT students, bio250 is enough and you do not need bch304. Here is an e-mail I wrote to the admissions department at UofT a while back and the response they gave:

I am a student entering my 4th year at UofT and I hope to apply to the faculty of dentistry for the DDS program but I just have two quick questions. First off, I have already taken bch210 and I know under the prerequisites it says you need one full year of biochemistry, I would just like to confirm that bio250y1y satisfies that requirement (I read that it qualifies on the chart but I would just like to be 100%).

Response:

Yes BIO 250 meets our biochemistry requirements.

Right on.......just my situation when I applied

guys everything they post is NOT A CONCRETE YES or NO, make sure u check with them [admission office] cause that's the case with most of my classmates. They will make exception as long as you can provide some background on the course you have taken. Plus UofT does not know about every course at every University, u may have more than you think!

Cheers

p.s- for teh poster above, Yes i did my undergrad at UofT, and I also called myself, the admission office will tell you themselves that Bch210 and Bio 250 is way more than enough.

Unfortunately, UofT Dentistry does look at summer courses:

"Best Response

Summer Courses and Grade Point Average (GPA) Calculation

We include summer courses when calculating an applicants Grade Point Average (GPA). Courses taken during the summer session are included with the university courses taken during the previous fall-winter session."

This is from the question search on the dentistry website. I know UWO definitely doesn't look at summer courses.

Archived