Premed 101 Forums

OOP invites

Whoa. 400. Damn.

Well, that doesn't look so good, does it... :(

Thanks for checking, Matt. ;)

I don't want to discourage anyone, but in terms of # of OOP applicants, they had over 400 this year. (...) If you guys don't here by 10am tomorrow I'll go in to the office and find out for you.

Matt

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read MD Brace's post like 5 times... I still can't get over it....

OVER 400! And only 50 are interviewed? I have a better chance of getting IN to an Ontario school than INTERVIEWING at Dal. Ridiculous.

Oh well... if ppl complain about a lack of doctors, it sure as hell isn't for a lack of applicants ;)

Okay, if were the character Downer Debbie from SNL, I would say:

What if all the people who get interviews were already contacted and none of them bother posting on this board.

BUT, that would be cruel...as cruel as saying decisions will be released by Jan 2nd...causing some people to not get hammered on Jan 1st in anticipation of next morning drinking.

Okay, if were the character Downer Debbie from SNL, I would say:

What if all the people who get interviews were already contacted and none of them bother posting on this board.

BUT, that would be cruel...as cruel as saying decisions will be released by Jan 2nd...causing some people to not get hammered on Jan 1st in anticipation of next morning drinking.

hey guys, this thought has crossed our minds...we are just a bunch out of the 400, on these forums. perhaps the invited ones are being too nice to post (or mean, depending on how you look at it). personally, i don't mind waiting. i feel like the longer they wait, the better they are trying to process the 400 of us; the better FULL review my file gets, the happier i am. lets all cross our fingers and go to bed. tomorrow has to be the day!

Hi everyone, I guess I did freak you all out.... maybe I can calm you a bit. This year is the double cohort year, so along with all the qualified applicants there are double the unqualified ones applying and there are always the people from 3rd year undergrad who try to sqeeze in applications. Don't panic! If you have a good GPA (remember Dal calculates it on the 4.3 scale, so the 3.7 is not an 87% or whatever it comes out to on the 4.0 scale) and a competitive MCAT you are in good standing! The more extracurricular activities you have the better, but you guys know all this. I guess all I'm trying to say is that last year out of roughly 200 OOP appliants 50 of us got interviews and I was one of those with a GPA of 84% and a 32Q. To me that means 150 applicants didn't meet the GPA/MCAT cut-offs (in hopes they would drop them) or if they did meet the cut-offs but they had no or little extra-curricular. If you guys meet the cut-offs and do more than just study, I really wouldn't worry too much, of course there will be some of you who completely meet all the requirements and who are really interesting great people, but they had to cut someone. If you are one of those people and you really want medicine apply again and you will get in somewhere. If you are the really great person who leads an interesting life and your GPA has suffered from that (as mine did, I was in a band in undergrad that toured more than we studied) consider doing an extra year or grad work and apply again. There's something to be said for persistence.

As for the time-line of interview invites...I'm really sorry you guys had to wait this long, but I guess one thing you'll find if you are not from the east coast is that a lot of things run on 'maritime time'. It truly is just a bit slower here in terms of pace of life. It's nothing malicious or lame, it's just different from GTA pacing. Good luck to everyone, I hope you hear today and if you do, don't forget about the interviewee site (http://2011.medicine.dal.ca) it's all fixed up and offers you guys the chance to billet with our class so you don't have to pay hotel bills!

...but your chances are greater than that if you get an interview because every med school in Canada is essentially looking for the same candidates, so invariably out of the 9 acceptances sent out, AT LEAST half will decline to stay in province at another school they were accepted at. Like I said in my earlier post, I was number 16 off the wait list and the last to get in, the year before went to #35 on the OOP waitlist for 9 spots. If you get over the hurdle of interviewing you stand a good chance.

On a different note, I take it no one has heard yet. I'll get in touch with the office and let you guys know....

Matt

OK, here's the deal. When the school selects people for interviews they have to set up times for each person's interview and schedule in a faculty member to be part of the interviewing team. Apparently a number of faculty members have dropped out or changed their availability so Tracy is in the admissions office feverishly trying to work around their schedules to rearrange the interview times and/or faculty members present at the interview. The emails will be out by the end of the day though. Hold on just a bit longer!

Matt

Apparently the number of OOP applicants isn't that much higher than last year. According to the Class Profile page, dal received a total of 657 applications last year of which 286 were from maritimers. Hence, 371 were from OOP applicants.

So, 400 OOP applicants this years no longer seems like an astronomical jump.

Apparently the number of OOP applicants isn't that much higher than last year. According to the Class Profile page, dal received a total of 657 applications last year of which 286 were from maritimers. Hence, 371 were from OOP applicants.

So, 400 OOP applicants this years no longer seems like an astronomical jump.

in the FAQs i remember reading they had 150 non-maritime, of which 45-50 were interviewed. those odds weren't so bad at all!

in the FAQs i remember reading they had 150 non-maritime, of which 45-50 were interviewed. those odds weren't so bad at all!

I think historically the school has received around 150 OOP applications. With a demographic shift (all of us echo-children!), the double-cohort effect, and the apparently increased preference for a medical career amongst students (over the last couple of years a greater proportion of students are applying to study life science or business in university as compared to the arts and applied science - according to a friend on the admissions committee at Queen's University) the number of applicants has shot up for almost every med school across the country.

Don't worry too much: the number of children born after 1995 has dropped off precipitously, so in about a decade it should be fairly easy to get into the med school of your choice! :D

I rescheduled my Dal interview last year because it conflicted with my Queen's interview. The only trouble with rescheduling is you get rescheduled for a weekday which means you have a little bit of a lonely experience...no potluck dinner, no med students to chat it up with, and in my case interviewing in the admission's office which was a little awkward. Don't worry though, if any of you do have to reschedule, Janka or I will meet you and show you around so you're not completely on your own.....

Matt

Archived