Premed 101 Forums

OOP invites

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys and gals! This is Matt, your 'Ask A Med Student' rep here at dal. I was in the admissions office today and asked when the emails are going out. Here's the scoop, the final selections were made today, the emails should be out late tomorrow evening or thursday at the latest. I feel for you guys, I went through the exact same thing last year and I ended up being the last person to get in off the OOP wait-list this year at the end of August. I know that waiting is excruciating but try not to stress out too much. Good luck to everyone!

Matt

Thanks for the info Matt.

I remember reading your posts in late August last year after you were informed (while traveling in Thailand, if I recall correctly) that Dal had one last OOP waitlist spot for you. I remember this particularly well because you were number 16 on the OOP list…and I was # 17! (laughs). And so it was I had the dubious honour of being the next person on the list when admissions were officially closed.

Anyway, I'm dusted off and ready for battle once again…wish me better luck this year!!

Mike

That's right Mike, that was me, in Thailand for a total of 24 hours exactly when I got the call to come home because I got into to Dal off the waitlist. Anyway, best of luck this year, you're doing the right thing by re-applying, it took me 4 years of waitlists before I got here. Hopefully you don't have to go through that agony though! Best advice I can give, even though it sounds corny, is just be yourself. The years before, when I didn't get in, I went to interviews with the idea that I had to act like 'a med student' and be convincing that I was super-smart and super-motivated and the all around perfect candidate. Truth is they just want to meet you, just be yourself, be prepared to answer questions about yourself truthfully and don't worry that 'the real you' is not what they are looking for. I am amazed at all the different personalities and types of people in our class, it truly is a huge mix. There are some people who, when I first met them, didn't strike me as 'med student' types, but they are, because med students and doctors are just regular people. I'm not suggesting that you weren't yourself at the interviews, but if you, or anyone else reading this, fell into that same trap as me in previous years, please, just come as yourself. There's nothing better that you can do!

Matt

I don't want to discourage anyone, but in terms of # of OOP applicants, they had over 400 this year. As of tuesday, the admissions office had the list of selected interviewees finalized so I am not sure what is taking them so long. If you guys don't here by 10am tomorrow I'll go in to the office and find out for you.

Matt

Archived