Premed 101 Forums

Quick question about driving distances between Ottawa, London, Kingston and Hamilton?

Hello All

This isn't a direct medical question but it's for you guys in Ontario. I've got some interviews coming up in Ontario.. thinking of driving from place to place.

I was wondering if someone could quickly give me an idea of how long it would take to drive from each place?

1. Ottawa to Kingston

2. Kingston to Hamilton

3. Hamilton to London

That's all. thanks a lot for any help!

Hello All

This isn't a direct medical question but it's for you guys in Ontario. I've got some interviews coming up in Ontario.. thinking of driving from place to place.

I was wondering if someone could quickly give me an idea of how long it would take to drive from each place?

1. Ottawa to Kingston

2. Kingston to Hamilton

3. Hamilton to London

That's all. thanks a lot for any help!

Hi,

From Ottawa to Kingston you're looking at around 1-1.5hrs. From Kingston to Toronto (in good traffic) is around two hours, and Toronto to Hamilton is about an hour, again, in good traffic. So the Kingston to Hamilton route will be 3 hours in good traffic, but if you get stuck on the 401 at either of the rush hours, then it will be longer. Toronto to London is normally around two hours (at the speed limit :)) but Hamilton to London is around 1-1.5. Overall, if you end up driving to and from each of these locations then you're going to become good friends with the 401.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

You'd have to be going pretty darn fast to get from anywhere in Ottawa to Kingston in 1 to 1.5 hours (unless you're just talking from one highway exit to another). I travel that route regularly, and to go from downtown Kingston to Ottawa West travelling around 120km/h, it takes me about 1.75 to 2 hours, depending on traffic. I assume you're travelling from the med school on the more eastern side of the city - depending on the time of day you're leaving Ottawa (I'd say especially in the late afternoon, but I don't often go east of downtown), tag some extra time onto that.

You'd have to be going pretty darn fast to get from anywhere in Ottawa to Kingston in 1 to 1.5 hours (unless you're just talking from one highway exit to another). I travel that route regularly, and to go from downtown Kingston to Ottawa West travelling around 120km/h, it takes me about 1.75 to 2 hours, depending on traffic. I assume you're travelling from the med school on the more eastern side of the city - depending on the time of day you're leaving Ottawa (I'd say especially in the late afternoon, but I don't often go east of downtown), tag some extra time onto that.

Agreed. Kirsteen's times are a bit skimpy. If you are uncertain of where you are driving, leave lots of extra time, especially if there is rush hour on the 401 near Toronto, car accidents, etc. The nice thing about McMaster is that it quite close to the 403 exit, where UWO has another 30 minute drive once you leave the 401 to get to the north end of London. uOttawa is fairly close to the Queensway (417) but you need to drive through Ottawa, if coming from Toronto. Look into google maps, I find their times are pretty good and generally are generous for those that don't keep to the speed limit (not sure who drives 100 km/h on the 401 anyhow).

Just a note. Do not mapquest the University of Western Ontario. I went on a campus tour last summer and it took us in the opposite direction of the campus. I was lucky my mom was somewhat familiar with London and the surrounding area:D .

Hey,

Agreed. Kirsteen's times are a bit skimpy. If you are uncertain of where you are driving, leave lots of extra time, especially if there is rush hour on the 401 near Toronto, car accidents, etc. The nice thing about McMaster is that it quite close to the 403 exit, where UWO has another 30 minute drive once you leave the 401 to get to the north end of London. uOttawa is fairly close to the Queensway (417) but you need to drive through Ottawa, if coming from Toronto. Look into google maps, I find their times are pretty good and generally are generous for those that don't keep to the speed limit (not sure who drives 100 km/h on the 401 anyhow).

Yeah, I agree- London to Hamilton cannot be done in 1 hour, unless you're set on breaking a land speed record. A much more reasonable target is 1.5 hours, but be prepared to jack that up to 2 hours, especially if you don't know where in London you are going!

Yeah, I agree- London to Hamilton cannot be done in 1 hour, unless you're set on breaking a land speed record. A much more reasonable target is 1.5 hours, but be prepared to jack that up to 2 hours, especially if you don't know where in London you are going!

Hello again,

I apologize, but my times were on the smallish side as I did tend to have a bit of a lead foot when driving in Ontario. (I made it from TO to London in the time it took to listen to both sides of a 45 minute cassette one time--not too proud of that now. A whole heck of a lot of insurance premiums later, I'm a reformed driver.)

On the whole, I'd leave a good bit of buffer time to get to and fro, especially if you're driving and especially if it's for something as important as interviews.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I didn't know UofO/Queen's/Mac/UWO have sent out invites already?

Hi there,

They have for some of their residency programs, however. So it's possible that this person is a current CaRMS applicant who's hitting the Ontario interview trail at this month's end.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi there,

They have for some of their residency programs, however. So it's possible that this person is a current CaRMS applicant who's hitting the Ontario interview trail at this month's end.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought (after the panic had dissipated) :)

Archived