Premed 101 Forums

how to become a competitive applicant?

Hey all,

Im just a little confused about what CGPA would be considered competitive for dental schools. Right now mine is only 3.6 (2yrs of undergrad) and was wondering if anyone could give advice as to any canadian dental schools that might tke into consideration such a GPA as competitive. However I do have good ecs, not dental related though(i dont know if these make an application look good because UofT atleast doesnt require them), and havent written my DAT yet.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Hello,

just work hard, try to attain the highest grade possible in all your courses. The higher the better.

U of T and Western dental schools are not comprehensive; they don't use reference letters, essays as part of an applicant's evaluation. Other schools such as such as UBC and mcgill do. The bottom line though is you need to get an A or higher to be competitive as # of applicants goes up every year and so does the competitiveness.

You're in your second year and 3.6 is decent but, won't cut it at the end of your undergrad career. My suggestion is you work really hard, study smart and pick the type of courses that engage ur academic strengths and you will be fine. 2 more years of hard work is nothing compared to your lifelong enjoyment of dentistry.

G'luck to you.

Hello,

just work hard, try to attain the highest grade possible in all your courses. The higher the better.

U of T and Western dental schools are not comprehensive; they don't use reference letters, essays as part of an applicant's evaluation. Other schools such as such as UBC and mcgill do. The bottom line though is you need to get an A or higher to be competitive as # of applicants goes up every year and so does the competitiveness.

You're in your second year and 3.6 is decent but, won't cut it at the end of your undergrad career. My suggestion is you work really hard, study smart and pick the type of courses that engage ur academic strengths and you will be fine. 2 more years of hard work is nothing compared to your lifelong enjoyment of dentistry.

G'luck to you.

...Well said!...mkmkhan absolutely right, go and pound 2 years of good grades and you'll enjoy dentistry for a life time....

Hey!

You totally have a chance. I recommend 2 things:

1. I would attempt the DAT in the next couple offerings, if possible. With your DAT scores, you will get a better idea of what sections are strong and then you can decide where to apply. Some schools, Such as University of Alberta, exempt the sciences portion. This may be something that appeals to you or it may not-

2. Try volunteering, shadowing or even having a general conversation with a dentist. I know that some schools don't require that you write an essay or show proof of who you are behind the grades & transcripts. However, if you a granted an interview, it always sounds good to add (fit it in your answer appropriately) that you did associate with a dentist. It adds a nice touch and tells the interviewers that you have been serious about your career choice.

Be perisistent and have faith!

Bella Ortho

________

R60

hey all,

thanks alot for the replies. Just another question though..what do you guys think would be the best way to ask a dentist for shadowing..should i just call my local dental center or would it be a better idea to visit the center and ask them.Also should I plainly say tht im interested in shadowing a dentist or give them my reasons as well...

thanks

Like with doctors, I think its best to go in and talk to them. I imagine the best situation is if you are going for a cleaning or something, just as the doc if its possible to hang out, watch some procedures, perhaps look at x-rays, that kind of stuff. If you say that you are interested in dentistry, I think you'll have success.

Just calling random dentists might not work as well, imagine if you were the dentist.

Hello!

I agree with the above.

If you go in for a cleaning, usually the ball starts rolling. What are you doing now etc etc. If you are lucky, the dentist might even offer you to stick around the clinic or feel free to drop by one day.

If your teeth are clean and you don't have to go back for another 6 months, then I would call your dentist's office. Let them know that you are a patient there. They will probably check for your file, just so that they know the dentist has seen you before. Let them know that you are interested in the field and I am SURE they will set up a time where the dentist has fill-time.

(I know this stuff because one of my parents is a dentist and I have seen students go through this with them).

Hope this helps.

________

COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Archived