Premed 101 Forums

Admissions Update on U of T site

Hi Guys,

For those of us still waiting for interview offers, here is a little tit bit on U of T's website.

Admissions Update - January 31, 2007

We are currently in process of carefully assessing our 3100+ applications for entry into our medical school in 2007.

We have begun to send interview invitations, which are being sent through email this year. Invitations will continue to be sent as decisions are made. The timing of an interview or interview invitation is in no way related to an applicant's relative standing in our assessment pool.

Interview dates are as follows:

February 9, 11, 24-25

March 4-5, 23, 31

April 1

Let's hope for the best!

What I find a bit strange though, is that the number of applicants to Ontario universities hasn't gone down since the double cohort. One would expect there to be a surge in the double cohort year, and perhaps a year or two afterwards, but then the number of applicants should go back down to a baseline value, adjusted for demographics. Instead, some schools, like Queen's (http://alumni.queensu.ca/enewsletter/articles/gazette/2007/02_Feb/applications.htm), are reporting that the number of undergrad applicants has continued to rise for the past few years.

So, it appears that the number of med school applicants is going to continue to rise for the foreseeable future. Yikes!

What I find a bit strange though, is that the number of applicants to Ontario universities hasn't gone down since the double cohort. One would expect there to be a surge in the double cohort year, and perhaps a year or two afterwards, but then the number of applicants should go back down to a baseline value, adjusted for demographics. Instead, some schools, like Queen's (http://alumni.queensu.ca/enewsletter/articles/gazette/2007/02_Feb/applications.htm), are reporting that the number of undergrad applicants has continued to rise for the past few years.

So, it appears that the number of med school applicants is going to continue to rise for the foreseeable future. Yikes!

Well this is the year of the double cohort, which explains why there are more applicants this year. We won't be able to tell the long term effects of the double cohort for at least 3-5 more years.

There was an article in a recent paper that said that there are more students entering university now than in previous years, so unless this trend changes, I don't think it will go back to baseline, but level off at a higher number.

Sorry, I should have stated that I was referring to highschool applicants applying to university for the first time. The number of such applicants has been steadily increasing (even after the double cohort) for some schools such as Queen's, and it is this that I find suprising.

i know that my highschool increased the number of spots in grade 9 when the double cohort kids graduated. they had the capacity for a certain number of people spread out over 5 grades before, so they increased the number of people per grade after the cohort passed to keep the school population the same.

that could account for some of it if this was done all across the board.

Well this is the year of the double cohort, which explains why there are more applicants this year. We won't be able to tell the long term effects of the double cohort for at least 3-5 more years.

There was an article in a recent paper that said that there are more students entering university now than in previous years, so unless this trend changes, I don't think it will go back to baseline, but level off at a higher number.

I think some of it has to do with the fact that we are the "echo" generation- the kids of the baby boomers. Right now universities are not only dealing with the double cohort but the increased population of this age group. Once we get through the system I think the enrollment will probably fall.

I think some of it has to do with the fact that we are the "echo" generation- the kids of the baby boomers. Right now universities are not only dealing with the double cohort but the increased population of this age group. Once we get through the system I think the enrollment will probably fall.

I read a report expecting enrollment in universities to decline by about 15% by 10 years.

Archived