Premed 101 Forums

Anyone Recieved a Rejection?

Hi All,

I went through this last year. I made the undergrad cutoff however my sketch was not competitive enough. I got rejected then I got an email saying I should submit a grad package. They consider your graduate productivity...ie have you published...essentially if you haven't, you don't have a prayer. The cutoff this year for Ottawa residents according to Chantal Renaud is 3.65.

good luck all!

Regards,

Dr. E77

Did you get an interview after they reviewed your grad package? Does the size of your package matter a lot? (no pun intended)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tooty,

No I did not get an interview after they received my graduate package. People in the graduate pool are pitted against other masters and Phd students...so in my case I had no chance as I did not have a publication at that time.

Hope this helps.

Dr. E77

Hi Tooty,

No I did not get an interview after they received my graduate package. People in the graduate pool are pitted against other masters and Phd students...so in my case I had no chance as I did not have a publication at that time.

Hope this helps.

Dr. E77

What would make up a competitive grad package? A couple of publications and maybe a conference?

Hi Tooty,

It's hard to say. Perhaps those in the previous years who have gotten an interview and an admission through the grad pool can shed a light on their stats. However that being said, I guess a couple of publications and conference presentations would not hinder your chances either.

Almost there...

Regards,

Dr. E77

Hi Tooty,

It's hard to say. Perhaps those in the previous years who have gotten an interview and an admission through the grad pool can shed a light on their stats. However that being said, I guess a couple of publications and conference presentations would not hinder your chances either.

Almost there...

Regards,

Dr. E77

hey thanks for all this info

what about people who are doing course-based which ottawa doesn't recognize for the break on gpa... are they still matched against other undergrads or do they compete w/ a graduate pool?

what about people who are doing course-based which ottawa doesn't recognize for the break on gpa... are they still matched against other undergrads or do they compete w/ a graduate pool?

I am not sure about course-based, but for 1-year MSc programs the grad students are matched against the undergrad pool. I think that grad students are only considered in the graduate pool when they don't meet the requirements of the undergrad pool.

correct me if i'm wrong.

I am not sure about course-based, but for 1-year MSc programs the grad students are matched against the undergrad pool. I think that grad students are only considered in the graduate pool when they don't meet the requirements of the undergrad pool.

correct me if i'm wrong.

That seems correct according to the official policies:

http://www.intermed.med.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/admissions/Legacy/eng/AdmissionPolicy.html

Are you sure it states u would be considered for an invitation for a grad review if your ABS wasn't strong enough?

My understanding from back when I applied was that you move on to the grad should you wGPA not meet the cut-offs.

If your undergrad wGPA meets the cut-offs you are put in the undergrad pool and end of story. You progress in that same pool.

What the?? I graduated in 2002 from a 2 year Masters program so I though I would be considered under the Graduate Review Policy but I'm not sure if this was applied.

I received a rejection e-mail today and all it stated was that my "application was carefully reviewed and although your academic performance did meet the required level, we regret that the evaluation of your detailed autobiographical sketch does not permit your application to advance further in the selection process." According to the Ottawa U website, it states that if the application does not advance to the interview process based on the results of the ABS, the Graduate Review Policy would be applied, insofar the 6 criteria are met. I meet all of the criteria listed (I graduated top of my masters class), but NO ONE from the Admissions Committee contacted me to submit proof of my graduate productivity.

Smacky - it sounds like the email you received actually stated that you didn't meet the criteria under the Grad Review Policy (I'm sorry to hear that). However, nothing like that was even stated in the e-mail that I received.

Anyone have any insights on this???

Unless things have changed...if you have completed your course-based grad degree AND you do not meet the undergrad wGPA with ur undergrad marks THEN they will take all the coursework from your entire grad degree (be it 1 year, 2 years or 3 years etc) and count it as your last year in the calc of the wGPA. Then with this new wGPA you must meet the undergrad cut-off. If you meet it, u are put in the undergrad pool and if not, then you are rejected.

Archived