Premed 101 Forums

Anyone Recieved a Rejection?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Neuroman, I'm just curious, has anything changed on your application sketch since last year or was it essentially the same thing?

M

Momo,

I would definetly say my sketch has improved...started a masters, more EC's and voluteer experience...perhaps its a result of the ugly double cohort monster.

NM

OT6,

You mentioned that everyone should pretty much know their status by now, as pretty much all the e-mails have gone out. I have yet to receive an e-mail... I've checked my junk mail folders and everything. Should I wait until tomorrow and call the office or should I call today? Or should I not call?

Thanks...

got my rejection too. im a graduate student and they said that although I met the undergraduate GPA I did not meet the graduate GPA of 4.00 (A only) so they could no long consider my application. figured i wouldnt get in. relying on mac now.

What the?? I graduated in 2002 from a 2 year Masters program so I though I would be considered under the Graduate Review Policy but I'm not sure if this was applied.

I received a rejection e-mail today and all it stated was that my "application was carefully reviewed and although your academic performance did meet the required level, we regret that the evaluation of your detailed autobiographical sketch does not permit your application to advance further in the selection process." According to the Ottawa U website, it states that if the application does not advance to the interview process based on the results of the ABS, the Graduate Review Policy would be applied, insofar the 6 criteria are met. I meet all of the criteria listed (I graduated top of my masters class), but NO ONE from the Admissions Committee contacted me to submit proof of my graduate productivity.

Smacky - it sounds like the email you received actually stated that you didn't meet the criteria under the Grad Review Policy (I'm sorry to hear that). However, nothing like that was even stated in the e-mail that I received.

Anyone have any insights on this???

Hey Orchid,

Same thing here.. abs didn't make the cutoff. Guess I need to get those publications out before next fall. That means no interviews for me this round - I'm off to grad school ;). See some of you around here next winter ;).

All my to all of you,

xo Jess

sorry jess, thats too bad. good luck with grad school and with your applications next year.

Got my rejection email today as well. Does anyone know what was the GPA cutoff and what exactly are they looking for in these autobiographical sketches!!???

I'm pretty sure that if you haven't saved at least 73 babies from burning buildings then your autobiographical sketch isn't good enough :P .

The GPA cutoff was different depending on which category you fall into. For Ontario non-Ottawa, it was 3.83 I believe.

I'm pretty sure that if you haven't saved at least 73 babies from burning buildings then your autobiographical sketch isn't good enough :P .

heheh i actually did lead my family out of a housefire, the anniversary of the fire is actually tomorrow (hahah of course i didn't mention this in my sketch :P ).

yea i'm not sure what you have to do on your sketch? i felt i had a great sketch...filled with diverse activities that showed a commitment to my community. maybe my 2.5 years of reserach with no publications raised a flag? who knows. oh well. its their loss!

but it would be interesting to know how these sketches are evaluated. its not even like i was being compared to 3,500 ppl..i'm sure a good chunk of ppl didn't meet the cutoffs. so that hurts a little more. i think when you've got 150 characters, it all starts to look pretty similar to the ppl reading them ("leadership, teamwork, interpersonal skills, blah blah blah!")..i prefer the opportunity to write an essay.

best of luck to everyone!!!

What the?? I graduated in 2002 from a 2 year Masters program so I though I would be considered under the Graduate Review Policy but I'm not sure if this was applied.

I received a rejection e-mail today and all it stated was that my "application was carefully reviewed and although your academic performance did meet the required level, we regret that the evaluation of your detailed autobiographical sketch does not permit your application to advance further in the selection process." According to the Ottawa U website, it states that if the application does not advance to the interview process based on the results of the ABS, the Graduate Review Policy would be applied, insofar the 6 criteria are met. I meet all of the criteria listed (I graduated top of my masters class), but NO ONE from the Admissions Committee contacted me to submit proof of my graduate productivity.

Smacky - it sounds like the email you received actually stated that you didn't meet the criteria under the Grad Review Policy (I'm sorry to hear that). However, nothing like that was even stated in the e-mail that I received.

Anyone have any insights on this???

Hi Astro Boy,

I believe that if you make the undergrad cutoff, you are considered in the general pool. My understanding was that if you did not make the undergrad cutoff, then you were considered for the grad pool. However, not everyone gets asked to submit a grad package, just a select few (30 maybe?). So, if you made the undergrad and grad GPA cutoffs, as it sounds like you did, I guess they just thought your sketch was not competitive enough (read: completely subjective!). Smacky did not meet the grad GPA cutoff.

Keep applying and best of luck to you next year!

Hey Orchid,

Same thing here.. abs didn't make the cutoff. Guess I need to get those publications out before next fall. That means no interviews for me this round - I'm off to grad school ;). See some of you around here next winter ;).

All my to all of you,

xo Jess

Jess, from personal experience, I think a Master's definitely helps. Good luck next year!

Hey Orchid,

All my to all of you,

xo Jess

Hi Jess,

I just wanted to say given your experiences, I can't believe you didn't get an interview! I was totally impressed by your stats, and I really hope you apply and get in next year! :)

Can you elaborate? I've decided to take a year off to travel + work + re-write MCAT before applying again.

Well, I can't say for sure since Im not on the admissions committee, but I had the option of taking a year off or doing a master's. The major downside to a Master's is that most med schools require you to complete it so it becomes 2 years (for most master's) as opposed to one yr off. Having said that, it's 2 yrs research experience and you end up with an extra degree. I chose to do clinical research which gave me the added bonus of 2 yrs patient experience.

Regarding what you are planning on doing in your time off: I took 3 weeks off last summer to travel and if i finish my thesis early enough, I plan on traveling this summer as well; most research-based grad programs provide funding (not so much but enough to pay the bills); and I re-wrote the MCAT my first yr in April (not so much fun but definitely doable).

I don't know if having a Master's will get you into med school (or me for that matter), but schools like u of t, mac, and ottawa do give extra points for grad degrees. Hope this helps and pls feel free to shoot me any more questions if you have any!

*hayley.

Wow, you guys.. I am completely touched by how many people on here have responded directly to my not getting an interview. Thank you sooo much! You have no idea how much that means to me, being a 3rd time applicant, and having no interviews again, even though I made the GPA cuts this time.

I had a shoddy GPA in my first three years (I had a pretty major health problem which was treated after 3rd year - my internist has backed that up for me on my application), and have only 9 half credits in my 5th year (Queen's and Western require a full 10 to count the year, which they won't balance out with the 12 I took in 4th year).. so U of O and Northern, with their weighted GPA systems, were really my only chances of getting interviews. I have to admit, I was also pretty surprised by not receiving one this year.. so thank you all very much for your support, because.. this year while I'm working 2 days a week with patients (I'm doing assessment and intake interviews in psychosis), I'm really loving every minute of it.. and I feel really ready to start. So I am.. kind of.. truly heartbroken over this. I mean, I know I'm sort of a weird sort (the neuropsych kind ;) ), but I really feel that once you get started with this stuff, how can you ever want to do anything else with your life?

So thank you all so much! You've really made me feel like it might be worth another shot at applying.

I'm also considering whether or not to do a masters or take a second year off. I have a few pretty sweet jobs, and I DO have one more continent left to see, plus alaska ;)...

All my best out to you,

Jess xo

• 11 months later...

Smacky said:

although I met the undergraduate GPA I did not meet the graduate GPA of 4.00

I'm confused by this. Why is his grad GPA even considered when he had already met the undergrad GPA cutoff? I thought the grad GPA is only considered when the applicant DOES NOT meet the undergrad GPA cutoff?

btw this thread is depressing.

Hi Astro Boy,

I believe that if you make the undergrad cutoff, you are considered in the general pool. My understanding was that if you did not make the undergrad cutoff, then you were considered for the grad pool. However, not everyone gets asked to submit a grad package, just a select few (30 maybe?). So, if you made the undergrad and grad GPA cutoffs, as it sounds like you did, I guess they just thought your sketch was not competitive enough (read: completely subjective!). Smacky did not meet the grad GPA cutoff.

Keep applying and best of luck to you next year!

Hi tooty, i think the answer to your question is above ^^. in the grad review policy, there is also a minimum GPA that your undergrad GPA had to be. hence the confusion between 'undergrad' GPAs. i think it's 3.50?

you're right. this thread is damn depressing...:(

Hi All,

I went through this last year. I made the undergrad cutoff however my sketch was not competitive enough. I got rejected then I got an email saying I should submit a grad package. They consider your graduate productivity...ie have you published...essentially if you haven't, you don't have a prayer. The cutoff this year for Ottawa residents according to Chantal Renaud is 3.65.

good luck all!

Regards,

Dr. E77

Archived