OOP - 3.87

Francophone program

CNFS/Aboriginal/CF - 3.4

Ontario - 3.4

OOP - 3.87

(from a previous 0T6 post)

Good luck!

Thanks!

Good luck to all... I'm just curious what reasoning they will put for those who made cut-off's but no invite.

Well, I'll definately let you know when I hear, then, Orchid. My stats: I am from Ottawa, with a wGPA of about 3.7 (makes the local cutoffs). I did a fifth year last year taking courses in neurophysiology and doing a second thesis - boosted my gpa. This is my third year applying, but my first making the GPA cut.

I have pretty good extracurriculars (I played a varsity sport, ran a film club at the university, spent a summer doing creative writing at Oxford, coached a highschool team, trained national team athletes, and ran or participated in 3 mentoring groups for younger students), some volunteering (3 years running a support grp for women with eating path, patient care experience with impulse control disorders like trichotillomania, heart institute front desk, etc..), and I've spent the last 2 years working on research - I have 4 papers up for publication right now.. but they hadn't been accepted yet in September, so U of O doesn't consider them this cycle (I had presented at scientific conferences, though.. so those are considered publications)... I've got good references, 2 academic, and one an ex head of psychiatry who I met 7 years ago; he's a personal mentor. I have very strong, close relationships with all three.

Shrug, so I am guessing my rejection will say something generic like "please work on your autobiographical sketch".. which for me.. probably means publish... which is what I am already working on doing. So I don't know if that helps, any?

In any case, my boyfriend is a resident in Ottawa, and went to U of O for med school. We've been together for three years, so I know a lot of his friends well, and there are quite a few people from his class and other classes that I've met through him who applied 3 or more times. So sometimes.. it's just the luck of the draw.. and building your application slowly over time.

So this is getting long! I probably should have sent you a pm, but don't be discouraged! I'm sure you will hear from other schools, or at the very worst.. that you will have much greater luck next year. Here's to hoping the same will be true for me, too ;).

All my best :)

JUST got my rejection from ottawa. they said i made the cutoff (IP, not ottawa region) but "although your academic performance did meet the required level, we regret that the evaluation of your detailed autobiographical sketch does not permit your application to advance further in the selection process."

expected, at this point, but still quite disapointing, especially considering i had piles of ECs, volunteering, and research, as well as awards, grants, etc. oh well ...... **** it right?

Just received my rejection as well. 3rd year applicant with 3.90 GPA.

This is strange because I received an invitation from McMaster which received 5000 applicants instead of 3300, and I felt that I had a strong ABS and actually thought that I had screwed up on the the essay questions I wrote for Mac. Maybe Ottawa prefers 4th year applicants but still my 3rd year friend who has a 4.0GPA got invited from McMaster as well as Ottawa. Anywho wish everyone who is still waiting best of luck.

lol i got my rejection, but i'm surprised at their reasoning... they said i met the cutoffs even though my wGPA should be only a 3.82 (from toronto) but that my sketch sucked. i guess this is quasi-good news cause i wasn't expecting to even meet their cutoffs :P anyway... good luck to those still waiting!

ya, I just got my rejection email. After interviewing last year, this feels like a kick in the nuts. Just goes to show the subjectiveness of the process. Good luck to those still waiting.

NM

Hey Neuroman, I'm just curious, has anything changed on your application sketch since last year or was it essentially the same thing?

M

Finally got the rejection as well - knew it was coming but still surprised I missed the ABS cut. Graduated top of my class last year with a Hon Health Sci degree and have been working in clinical research for a year with tons of patient interaction and research responsibilities: currently coordinating a drug trial sponsored by CIHR with several publications in process. Lots of EC's during undergrad - intramural teams, marathon running, student groups and 3+ years hospital volunteer as well as 2 years volunteering in the community with intellectually challenged ppl, past summers in research with presentations at international conferences. Outside of work I am currently heavily involved in the minor hockey scene, play on a men's b-ball team and am on the planning committee for an international research conference to be held this summer...

Sorry for the rant, just letting out some frustration – my last hope it UofT, as I have been rejected from Mac & Dal and scored a 11-10-12-O on the MCAT so I am out of the running at Queens and UWO. Although I know there are tons of very competitive applicants out there, it would also appear that with the current number of applicants it takes some luck too, to get to the interview stage…anyways I will be applying until I get in somewhere, as should the rest of you – “keeping everlasting at it brings success”

Got my rejection too. Same phrasing as a few years ago when I tried applying during 3rd year. "Marks were good but YOUR ABS sucked!"

It's alright. So many others got a few invites elsewhere but Ottawa. All we need is ONE successful interview! Cheer up and good luck everyone!

Sorry guys, like a lot of you have said, it can be a bit of a lottery at times with SO many qualified applicants, I wish you all the best of luck at any other interviews you have this year.

All emails have gone out, including a few invites so you should all know your status now.

Archived