Premed 101 Forums

Matching suit? Or blazer and pants that go well together?

Sharpie*

It seems there is much debate over attire on this site. The image that you should project is professional. You will be expected to dress professionally when interacting with patients once you are in medical school. It is not a bad idea to get used to it now. At our school, guys are expected to wear ties for clinical encounters, although not suits per se (don't fit well under clerk coats). When selecting your outfit, think "law firm" or business casual at a minimum.

Here are some things to avoid (for women):

-excessively tight fitting suits

-really low riding dress pants (no one wants to see your thong as you bend over)

-open-toed shoes

-low-cut shirts

-excessively short skirts

You would think these suggestions are intuitive and therefore a waste of space on this site. But, I have seen MANY people make these mistakes.

At our school, guys are expected to wear ties for clinical encounters

This is ironic considering there's research showing that doctors' ties are some of the worst germ hubs ever, so this is good neither for the doctor nor the patient, especially since a tie is not an item of clothing expected to be washed daily or nearly daily, so the germs have ample time to accumulate.

I have a snoopy tie that I would wear. It has snoopy trying to hit a tennis ball over a net but the net is the whole tie so he has a tonne of balls just sitting there.

Personally, I think it's best just to look professional.

The most important thing is what you say!! So I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about your clothes.

Just don't wear your birthday suit or your grandma's knitted sweater.

:eek:

What about guys were a pink shirt / tie combo?

as long as its still conservative. remember that your interviewers are mostly going to be your parents age (and the med student wont care that much about your clothes being trendy). if your dad would think its acceptable to wear it to the office, then you are probably ok

I wore a matching pinstripe suit.

If I get invited (:rolleyes: ), I'd wear a suit too. Makes you look put together! Blazer and pants are what I think of when I think "business casual," which in my opinion is not THE best option for an interview. I mean, no one's gonna be like "OMIGOD, she's wearing a beige blazer and grey pants!!!! Obviously she's not qualified to be a doctor!!!! Kick her out of here!" but it's always better to project the best possible impression.

For my first interview, I bought a black skirt suit. It was okay, but fairly cheap, and the skirt and the blazer were from different stores. I didn't get in.

Trying to learn from my experiences....this year, I bought another matching skirt suit (charcoal) that I probably paid too much for, but it fits so well and makes me feel like a superstar, so I splurged! Now if the amount of money I spend is directly proportional to my success rate, I should get in for sure this time! LOL

When it came to interview attire, my main goal wasn't to look super hot (obviously), but I definitely didn't want to feel self-conscious about my appearance. I tried on some pantsuits, but not of them fit right, and looked too masculine for my personal taste (at least on me - I've seen a few girls pull them off really well). I ended up wearing a patterned beigy knee-length skirt with a V neck-sweater and a white collared shirt underneath. At one school I was pretty much the only girl in my group who wasn't wearing a black pantsuit. Does it matter? Not so much...I got into every place I interviewed at.

Archived