Premed 101 Forums

Only MCAT site in BC completely booked up in 3 minutes

whoithinkyouare

same in Winnipeg and many other Canadian cities :mad: :mad: ....

Since CBT is introduced, I am not able to register for the MCAT... Are they giving 5 seats per city or something???

I don't understand why Canadian universities still depend on this US exam while the AAMC is not serving the Canadian needs... Can't Canadian universities have their own exam like Australia, or we do have to depend on the US for everything beside politics?

Say, does anyone know if they actually kept the same total # of seats for a year when they switched to CBT? I wonder if the total # of seats per year decreased.

I know for sure the # of possible sites to choose from decreased. Not sure about other provinces, but I know last year, when it was still paper-based, it was offered right here at the university I'm sitting right now, but this year there are only 2 test sites in AB as opposed to 3 last year. Of course, my town was the one that lost a spot.

To me is seems like there are fewer seats this year. When I registered for the April 16 exam, all seats in Canada other than Saskatoon were full. Thus, I'm traveling to Watertown, NY, about a 4 hour drive away. I keep hoping that someone will switch out of a seat in Markham, Toronto, Hamilton, Kitchener, London or Ottawa between now and the exam! However, if not, I'll be making the trip to the US to write.

I wonder how many people won't be able to write this year if the shortage of spaces is how it seems? People being prevented from applying to most med schools because of not having the means to travel to write the MCAT would be most unfortunate. How will people from the north write? Weren't there spaces further north than Toronto in previous years?

Elaine

Spoke with a kaplan lady and she said that Alberta has 6 seats in Edmonton and 6 in Calgary for each writing. So the # of seats available in the computer format compared to written format are way less. Sucks, I have to drive to saskatoon to write mine.

What day are you writing? I'm writing on April 12 in Sask.

Check out of province or in the US....

You guys, I think we should send a petition to the AAMC. I think it's unacceptable that they are doing this. First off, they are inconveniencing EVERYONE by making people travel ridiculously far and/or change their dates. Second, they are preventing people who cannot register for their chosen date whether because ALL test sites are full or because they can't afford to travel 1000 miles to write it from being successfully admitted to US medical schools (rolling admissions issue) and have the potential to do the same for those applying in Canada. Third, this is especially detrimental to underprivileged individuals who do not live in a major geographical area and/or do not have the financial resources to travel hundreds if not thousands of miles to write the exam - thus specifically filtering out underpriveleged individuals AND individuals from rural areas from the medical school admissions process. Their website says they make "every effort" to have people travel no more than 100 miles....it sounds like MOST people are driving for 300+.

I think it's unacceptable and may even be reported to the legal system due to the 3rd factor (which is pretty much flat out discrimination).

Yeah, I'm down. These should go out to medical schools so that they are aware of what AAMC is doing. Medical schools pay AAMC for organizing this whole thing. AAMC's a monopoly. Who else is willing to create a medical school entrance examination? It's too much work for individual schools to create their own.

Hey I got my seat here in London for the 24th..... but after getting extremely scared because when I logged on at 9:00am EST to the website, ALL seats in Ontario were already booked solid. However, if your credit card payment didnt go through, your seat was given up and I managed to grab a seat in London probably because of that (I kept trying over and over until a seat appeared for London). I had gotten a seat in Toronto but my credit card didnt go through the first time and my seat was given up. So my roomates woke me up to get a spot but I really didnt think it would be this bad or necessary! yikes!! :-(

OK, I'm gonna write this up probably on the weekend (I'm working for the next 6 days, which complicates things a bit). I'm pretty much gonna write what I had mentioned in my post, albeit in a better-phrased way, of course. However, first I'd like to call the AAMC and speak to someone in person and see what they say - or any of you can do that if you'd like. I just wanna know what the **** they are thinking.

OK, I'm gonna write this up probably on the weekend (I'm working for the next 6 days, which complicates things a bit). I'm pretty much gonna write what I had mentioned in my post, albeit in a better-phrased way, of course. However, first I'd like to call the AAMC and speak to someone in person and see what they say - or any of you can do that if you'd like. I just wanna know what the **** they are thinking.

I think that's a great thing to do.

It is not right that the AAMC has a monopoly, and that most Canadian med schools require the MCAT, and that there are so few spots for examinations administered, and that the MCAT requirement may exclude applicants unable to fund travel to an open spot. The latter issues stem from the MCAT being switched to being computer administered.

.. And NONE of the Canadian med schools thus far recognize this is a real issue. I think every med school should be forwarded this information - that people, like myself, cannot even register to take the MCAT within the first couple minutes registration opened.

I personally think that the appropriate way to let med schools (as opposed to AAMC) know would be to write an article in CMAJ....if we just sent a letter to the adcoms, they'd probably just toss it, they got lots of other things on their hands.

It's probably perfect for them actually, since fewer people able to take the MCAT = fewer people applying = fewer apps to sort through.

Spoke with a kaplan lady and she said that Alberta has 6 seats in Edmonton and 6 in Calgary for each writing. So the # of seats available in the computer format compared to written format are way less. Sucks, I have to drive to saskatoon to write mine.

6? as in six? as in 06.00000? holy crap! I know that there are, what, 22 writings per year in each city? Times 6 is 132? So 132 peoople per year in each city can write? And that's it? And when I wrote, they had four full lecture halls full (at least 100+ people in each hall), and there was another site in my city that had more people too! So, if my city is the norm, they have decreased the number of people writing each year in each city by about 80%? That is incredible! Who is this benefitting from this? Is the CBT administration more expensive than paper?

I am in on your petition because that is total bull. Now, instead of the competition being for spots to get into medical schools, the 'pre-med' competition will be for spots to write the mcat!

Archived