Premed 101 Forums

Winnipeg Airport/Train Station and Buses

Unless you're from here, I think a taxi is the best way to go...unless you don't mind asking the bus driver directions. I would guess that the med school is about a $15 cab ride from the airport, and bus fare is $2. Here is the link for transit. if you know the address the site will help you plan your bus ride.

http://www.winnipegtransit.com/main/

There's only one bus that goes to the airport (the 15) and it doesn't come enough. If you arrive by air, you're better off just taking a cab downtown (~$15-20). There are lots of busses downtown by the train station. They operate on reduced schedules on the weekend, though.

http://www.winnipegtransit.com has schedules and maps and stuff.

You guys have any tips or suggestions as to what taxi company I should use? there's:

unicity

blueline

Any tips on how to watch myself??? lol - i mean, i was looking at some motels and one place was booked full b/c it was for "social assistance residents" and another motel had a friggin strip club associated with it...talk about shady

Go with unicity, there are more of them around and thus you will pick up a cab faster.

Also don't stay in any hotel or motel within a 2km radius (perhaps a bigger radius than that) of the medical school. Its located in a a bad and shady neighborhood. Stick with a hotel brand name that you are familiar with and you should be fine.

have you thot about billetting with somebody? several classmates have already expressed an interest in doing this. i think itd be a good idea cause they might be able to pick you up from the airport, show you around town maybe, and you can sleep at hteir place and gank their food. and it'd be cheap and/or free, which is hard to beat.

and i dont think its too too dangerous here. you'll be around the hospital/campus area for only a few daylight hours anyway, so it shouldnt be too bad. just dont be an idiot, watch yourself, be polite, and keep to yourself and no one will give you too much trouble. maybe a few bums might try peddling you for some change or whatevs, but its not a big deal. but that might be cause this area is my hood, so i might see things from a diff perspective.

The Viscount Gort is a good hotel with reasonable rates. It's near the airport, and across the street from The Big Mall and a bunch of restaurants. Before I moved here, I visited Winnipeg several times a year, and I always found the airport area much more tourist-friendly than the downtown area.

As for watching yourself... well, you probably shouldn't wander around downtown, especially since you might look a little lost. I don't like to carry a purse or too much cash on me downtown either.

have you thot about billetting with somebody? several classmates have already expressed an interest in doing this.

I've e-mailed a few people on the list that was sent to me but I haven't heard back yet except from one person who said he wasn't available that weekend and that he didn't even know he was on the list. Do you know if the list is up to date?

i'd try emailing them again. maybe they ignored the email, or it was thrown into the trash. i couldn;t tell you if they were updated or not tho. we were given an email asking for volunteers to billet oop ppl, so those who are on the list should at least know about it...

If anybody is going to be coming from Ontario I would 100% suggest flying. It is way faster and cheaper. I did U/G in Waterloo and refused to either drive or take the train. Unless you want to lose 3 days of your life on the rails or by bus, I would suggest flying. For advice on hotels, don't be skimpy on spending for a good hotel. Just think of all the expenses as educational write-offs in the end. That's how I think of it.

If anybody is going to be coming from Ontario I would 100% suggest flying. It is way faster and cheaper. I did U/G in Waterloo and refused to either drive or take the train. Unless you want to lose 3 days of your life on the rails or by bus, I would suggest flying. For advice on hotels, don't be skimpy on spending for a good hotel. Just think of all the expenses as educational write-offs in the end. That's how I think of it.

very true buddy - via rail and plane were not too different in price...they were off by like $50 or something...i'm flying in.

Archived