Premed 101 Forums

UBC Admissions?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone who got accept into UBC, Congratulations!! for those who didn't, I wish you the best, don't lose hope yet. Yeah, I don't like the fact that UBC requires such a large amount of deposit, but they have their reasons. For those who got in, you can also send private message to me, I will give you additional info on top of those you got during the Q&A session. ProDog, I will do what you are planning to do in regarding to the deposit situation. If you do get accept into another school and decide to go elsewhere instead, I am pretty sure you will be able to save more than $9000 from the tuition alone.

and for those who got put on waitlist, from what I know 2 years ago, as long as you aren't placed at the tail end of waitlist, you should still have a good chance of getting in. (I can't guarantee that, because it seems to me the competition is getting more fierece these two years, I guess you younger generation is getting smarter now)

hi bellaortho

so how does UBC calculate percentiles?

my guess is...

accepted applicants/ ppl who passed the interview.

so if 82 ppl passed the interview... and 40 ppl are accepted...

42/82 = 51 percentile

so if u r ranked 39 among the 82 applicants..

ur percentile will be 39/82 = 47.5%, which means u need to wait for 3 ppl to drop their spot.

I dunno if this makes sense to you guys

btw, my overall gpa is ranked 29 percentile (Ouch!). My average for my best 3 years is 82.5%. Does this mean ppl who applied this year have super high gpas?

good luck guys

hey fishyfish

did you get an email?!?!

Well I think of it in the sense that:

Say 15 people failed their interview. Then the percentiles will be for 85 people (or the 85 people who passed).

40/85 = 47.1% therefore...anyone with a 47.1% and higher percentile is in the first 40 people.

Why did you put 42 in your initial calculation for finding the percentile?? shouldn't it be 40? & if you ranked 39 out of the 82 applicants, wouldn't you be in?, because top 40 are in.

Most of all, the percentile which the waitlist travels completely depends upon how many people passed/failed the interview.

(this is what I think)

________

Bmw m3

hey

yes i just received an email. I am at the tail end of the list (sigh).

say 18 ppl failed the interview... so 82 ppl passed the interview

The top 40 applicants, that is, applicant #82~ #43 (82, 81, 80, 79, 78....43) are being accepted. Their percentile will be 100% (82/82), 98.8%, (81/82), 97.6% (80/82).... and finally 52.4% (43/82). For applicant #42, his/her percentile will be 51.2% (42/82).

so if you percentile is above 51.3, u r in.

This is my guess tho, not sure if it's right :P

hope that helps

Im guessing 78 students "passed" the interview. As .513 scores or higher got acceptance (.513x78=40). Thus taking 40 - (your score x 78) should give you your waitlist position. I'm just speculating...open to suggestion.

Also, anyone know how many people declined positions last year?

-D

congrats to those that were accepted

hey

I think i made a mistake in my previous calculation.

Now i think 20 ppl failed their interview. 80 passed.

so applicant #80, 79, 78, 77..... 41 got in. Note that 41/80 is 0.5125, which is 51.3 percentile (note: 80~ 41 <- 40 ppl in here, not 39!)

so for applicant #40, his/her percentile is exactly 50.0 (40/80). #39 will be 48.8 (39/80).

This makes sense. If u multiply ur % by 80 u will get a nice round number.

For example, if ur percentile is 31.3.... 0.313X 80 = 25.04. This means there are 15 ppl infront of u.

Tell me wut u think :P

if u dun get a round number after u multiply by 80, this is probably wrong then...

o ya, this year is a bit weird

in the past only ~10 ppl failed their interview.

31.3? i got this number from an earlier post... not sure whose it is.

I am at the lower end of the waitlist. You will receive the good news before I do!

last year it stopped ~ 34 percentile i think. The year before it went to high 20s. However, for both years i think only 10-12 ppl failed the interview. If my calculation is right, roughly 20 ppl got of the list last year (assuming 10 ppl failed the interview last year... 90 X 0.34 = 31. 90- 31= 59. So a total of 59 ppl were offered acceptance).

One more thing, there're a large number of OOP applicants this year. So the list might move like crazy in the next few months..

hope that helps

Well, the waitlist for every school in Canada will move, both medicine and dentistry. The movement varies from year to year and depends on who got accepted and their first choice. It's a waiting game and will always be - part of the application process. However, be happy you are on the waitlist. You are only one step away from succeeding. Hang in there!

I wouldn't blame them for using UBC as a backup.. who would want to have a $200,000 debt by the end of 4 years

ACADEMIC ONLY!!

Year 1 - 49,182.94

Year 2 - 46,537.94

Year 3 - 44,785.94

Year 4 - 46,054.94

TOTAL - $ 186, 561.

I am sure this debt will be increased by at least 100K if you account for accomodation and other misc expenses. All in all 300 K ...holy smokes

ACADEMIC ONLY!!

Year 1 - 49,182.94

Year 2 - 46,537.94

Year 3 - 44,785.94

Year 4 - 46,054.94

TOTAL - $ 186, 561.

I am sure this debt will be increased by at least 100K if you account for accomodation and other misc expenses. All in all 300 K ...holy smokes

I guess at that point, all you have to be grateful for is that it's 300k Canadian and not American! =)

Actually, be careful how you interpret those numbers. The tuition is only ~$15,000 with a clinical fee of ~$23,000. The rest are small fees and equipment purchases you have to make. When making comparisons, make sure you account for those as well from other schools. However, it is true UBC is one of the more expensive ones, but it is not the most expensive. Based on a publication in the Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, Saskatchewan is the winner.

When you compare to the US schools, keep in mind they have not told you how much you would pay in minor fees, services, and equipment - just the tuition cost (and no necessary clinic fee). However, our new dean has told us that the latest research out of USC is that on average, dental grads pay off their loans within 5 years. Whether this is applicable to us Canadian grads remains to be seen. It is certainly more expensive to attend an american dental school and it is the case for 2 reasons: 1. You want to attend a prestigious school. 2. You had no chance to attend a canadian dental school.

UBC will always charge a large amount to ensure all the programs are running properly. Whether other schools have problems running their program, I do not know. However, even I b*tch about the costs every now and then.

One more thing: for the amount you paid, you are given the opportunity to receive a specific education. Whether you receive the same level of education elsewhere for a lower cost remains a mystery to me. If anyone has any concrete evidence besides "oh, you will be licensed just like every other dental grad", please inform us all.

Finally, I paid for fancy toys - I will enjoy using fancy toys in the clinic.

Archived