Premed 101 Forums

Mccqe1

Bear1056

Hi again,

Some more information: I just called the MCCQE folks and spoke to someone there re: the ensuing process. Apparently our entrance card packages will be mailed and/or should arrive next week. That package shall contain information on the site to which we've been assigned to write the exam. Although the MCCQE part 1 is scheduled to be written between Apr. 30th and May 11th, each centre will be limited to a number of dates within that span. Those details will apparently be included in our packages.

In the interim, you can log on to MCC-Online to check your exam registration status, where there will apparently be future notifications, etc.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Just out of curiosity - are you guys thinking of writing it at the beginning of the period vs later in the period ? I am debating at the moment - obviously thinking that i should do it earlier and get rid of it... but then again, i'm sure that by the time i get there, an extra week will be greatly appreciated (and also, meaning i get to take a week off my rotation lol).

Thing is, i have my final OSCE on the 21st of April..dunno if i can handle another exam on the 30th...

CY

Hey there,

I'm definitely aiming to sign up for the earliest date that's offered at my test centre. I'll be writing both, my Psych and Peds clerkship exams a couple of weeks prior, so I'm hoping to cram the remainder of the studying in during those last two weeks and get the MCCQE done while it's all still fresh! Besides, another free week in May with no deliverables looming seems pretty alluring having spent the past 2.5 years (or more) with constant looming deliverables! (I'm sure the weeks in between med school end and July 1st will feel a bit strange in that regard, for all of us.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Agree with x-ray doc! It IS a silly exam, and studying doesn't help you a whole heck of a lot (it's easy for us to say, but you won't believe it. We didn't). You should do fine. And enjoy the time between MCCQE and July 1st. It's the longest carefree period you'll have for a looooong time!

Good luck :)

I don't have FULL free time btw MCCQE and residency. I have a heme-onc rotation in May. Only have time off in June. Which is why i was thinking of delaying, so that instead of doing 4 weeks of heme - i could take off the first week "to study", then only do 3 weeks of the rotation. Plus i know that it probably will not be any use of all, but it might help on my nerves ;)

CY

hee hee... At U of A, we finished our rotations in March sometime... but I had 2wks vacation at the end, and I was on my psych rotation at CaRMS time. On match day, my psych preceptor asked me where/what I matched to. I told him, and he said, "Congratulations!!! Why don't you take the last 2 wks of the rotation off to relax/celebrate!"... Didn't need to think twice about that one :D So, I was actually free of clinical responsibility from Feb. 16-July 1st. Had ACLS, the review course (most of which I skipped), and a few little exams (comprehensive written, OSCE and MCCQE). I slept until noon, wore jeans and sweatshirts, got married, went on a cross-Canada car trip that culminated in 2wks of surfing bliss on Vancouver Island. I didn't actually lay eyes on a PATIENT from Feb-July. I felt just a "bit" rusty when I started residency on the cardio rotation, but I wouldn't exchange that long stretch of "time off" for anything in the world!

Leaving for Blanc Sablon (rural town, right under Labrador, neighboring Newfoundland) tomorrow. Gotta look into this MCCQE business - do you guys know if the envelope we're supposed to receive this upcoming week is necessary in order to register ? (seeing how i won't have access to snail mail...). What scares me a little is that during my rotation, i have to go do one week in a small village dispensary and might not have internet, thus, if that is match week, i will freak!!! :eek:

FFP - that's just nuts that you had all that time off! I have April off to study, and then back on elective in May, that i'm trying to remove a week of (which reminds me, i should really find another one than heme-onc...totally ended w/ that b/c that was all that was left - it's interesting and all, but i've already done an onc elective), then June for moving (crossing fingers), going to my medfriends' weddings, preparing for mine! :P Because of the sheer volumes of weddings/grads in June, we decided to get married end of July, after our first rotation ;) Will not have the surfing experience, but hopefully will have a week off to go somewhere...

CY

Leaving for Blanc Sablon (rural town, right under Labrador, neighboring Newfoundland) tomorrow. Gotta look into this MCCQE business - do you guys know if the envelope we're supposed to receive this upcoming week is necessary in order to register ?

Hi there CY,

For at least one reason, you do need the package in order to register: the package tells you where you've matched to, in terms of MCCQE test location. Additionally, based on this, you will have a certain span of days in which to begin registering for the exam. That is, different test centres are active only on certain days, and you need to know what days those are in order to register.

You can, however, register for an e-account with the MCCQE folks right now and, if they're smart, they'll place the above information in the e-accounts. While speaking with them last week, however, they didn't mention their intention to do so.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived