Premed 101 Forums

UBC vs UofA

hey

im new to the forum but i thought i would join. i think the emails have gone out because i did receive one that granted admission to UBC, i was happy but im kind of in a dilemma and would like some advice

i am a UofA student and it seems ubc wants a 9000 deposit before the UofA interviews are even held and i have an interview there as well and i really like both schools, so i would pretty much have to forefit my ubc seat to wait for UofA. any advice on this??? is ubc a lot better than u of a???

thanks

shocker

Well, from another perspective you can say UBC helps ensure those who want to come to UBC gets to because those who are not as committed may not be willing to pay the deposit, ie. premeds. It even helps those who are applying to other schools as a number of my classmates cancelled their interviews elsewhere once they were accepted at UBC.

Finally, all forfeited deposits go to student bursaries.

Well, from another perspective you can say UBC helps ensure those who want to come to UBC gets to because those who are not as committed may not be willing to pay the deposit, ie. premeds. It even helps those who are applying to other schools as a number of my classmates cancelled their interviews elsewhere once they were accepted at UBC.

Finally, all forfeited deposits go to student bursaries.

If UBC offered spots at the same time as other schools, then then people who attended UBC would be those that chose it over all other schools, rather than those held hostage by a ridiculous non-refundable deposit.

Simple as that.

if you could be given the offer by UBC, that means you are top 40 out of Canada, almostly.

since you will have high piroity for UAlberta, you would be qualified enough to get in UA for sure.

Almost NO students who got into UBC then didn't get into their own province dental schools.

Hey Shocker,

I have never applied to U of A, but I have applied to UWO before. I found out my interview percentile score and subsequently had UBC Admissions forward the score to UWO. I was accepted without ever setting foot in london beforehand.

So yes, you can forward your scores. Since you were accepted as one of the top 40, you would likely have a great interview score at UBC. Thus, you won't be sending a low score to U of A.

Almost NO students who got into UBC then didn't get into their own province dental schools.

You state this as if it were proven fact. Where did you get this info?

In my dental class at U of A, I would estimate that more than ~ 3/4 of them did not even apply to UBC. This means that its a completely different applicant pool at each school. Meaning you could get into UBC, and never get off the waitlist at U of A.

dr.drill. yes, 3/4 of the UA dental students who didn't even apply for UBC.

but the UA person who was offered by UBC did have a competition with BC in-province students as well as many other OOP students.

considering this fact, the BC pool should at least be the same or competitive with UA pool. the chance of getting in to UA dental is still pretty high , plus given the priority for for being AB applicant....:)

Archived