Premed 101 Forums

sympathetic vs. empathetic

rad86

While I know that empathetic refers to being able to feel what another person is feeling by putting yourself in his/her position, and that sympathetic is keeping a bit of a distance by acknowledging their feelings but staying objective, which one is the recommended attitude for doctors?

I've had med students telling me that you should be sympathetic because you want to stay objective and offer thoughtful advices without getting into the emotion yourself. On the other hand, the majority of people (including several doctors) tend to say it's better to show empathy, because that way you're being compassionate etc.

What exactly should it be? It's confusing..

When I volunteered at a clinic for 3 years, the emphasis was put on sympathy. We were recommended not to share our personal experience with a particular treatment/drug to the patient to avoid her choosing something based on OUR personal experience, because what worked for us may not work for her. Moreover, even if you have not experienced the situation yourself, I think it is also preferable not to try and put yourself in the patient's shoes. Say, you've never had breast cancer. Here you have a patient who has had it and is at a very high risk for developing it again. She has to make the decision on whether to have her healthy breast removed to ensure her risk goes down. It's a very risky situation to try and put yourself in her shoes. Some women will just go and chop the breasts off without worrying about it too much, and will barely have to think about cancer again. Other women will experience severe emotional trauma from undergoing the procedure and may prefer to maintain their body's integrity and hope that cancer won't strike again. Let's say, you, the doctor, belong to the latter group. When you "put yourself in the patient's shoes" (e.g. imagine having breast cancer and a high risk of getting it again), you are likely to guide the patient towards not having the procedure. She will hear your opinion as that of an expert/doctor and not as a personal opinion.

Archived