Premed 101 Forums

So what happens after the interview?

Nicole Racine said there was a proposal for 50%/50% that would be studied before admissions were done this year. That being said, if it isn't passed, it should be as last year, where it is based on your interview score only (4.0 scale) and only in the case of a tie-break do they use your GPA.

hehe, I bet if you had a higher gpa you would be "so for that idea" ;)

I think both are definately important. Interview tells you a lot about the person, but gpa does too. i.e. work ethic, academic aptitude. The hard part is finding the right balance. A balance that hasn't really existed at the post-interview stage of the Ottawa admissions process.

Anyways, we should know how its gona work in a less than a month.

The reason I am against it is because some people are in easier program and shouldn't have this advantage. With 3,87 of gpa in Biochem/psycholygy and 6-7courses/seesion, I think it's a good gpa and I would considere my GPA in health science, for exemple, more than 3,9. I know that some people have 3,95 GPA in biochem, but ottawa doesn't considere what program you are in and I think they should do it!

From what I've heard from Dr. Hebert's presentations (vice-dean), they do try to take into account the difficulty levels of programs. That being said, I think we have to also keep in mind that interviews aren't the perfect assessment tool either; some people who could be great doctors have average interviewing skills and vice-versa. As someone said, it's about balance. And I think that perhaps 40 minutes should not be the sole determining factor. I agree with you that the weight put on each of these indicators is controversial and always will be. Peace out!

I've been debating this change within myself since I first heard of it and I'm still torn about it.

I love my class cause the people in it are all fun, social, caring, all that good stuff that comes through during an interview.

That said, there have been a couple of bad apples in every bunch and there've been some questions of academic success and professionalism. A number of studies have shown that the best predictor of that sorta stuff is the MCAT. We don't use the MCAT cause there's no french version. #2 predictor is GPA..so that's the basis of the decision to weigh that more throughout the selection process.

Just wondering, wat are the chances of getting in after interview? 1 in 4 maybe? could somebody give me the breakdown of french, english, french CNFS and english CNFS interviewees/applicants?

I think it's closer to 50% but not sure exactly what the number is. Anyone know?

I think it's closer to 50% but not sure exactly what the number is. Anyone know?

Apparently (what I got from the interview information session), there are around 370 English interviews, with 138 spots, but they go down to almost position #190 (quite deep into the waitlist).

Anyone have more precise information?

there are around 370 English interviews, with 138 spots, but they go down to almost position #190 (quite deep into the waitlist).

I thought there were 82+4 spots for the english stream (regular+armed forces) and 138 referred to the TOTAL number of spots (english+french).

If 370 people were interviewed, shouldn't the chance be 86/370?

Oh I hate myself for missing the info session!

There are 152 of us this year, 40 french, 112 english. I think there are 5-6 military people.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I wasn't sure about the figures, which is why I put a disclaimer in my initial post. That was just what I recalled from the info sessions. I guess I was wrong on some numbers. :o

There are 152 of us this year, 40 french, 112 english. I think there are 5-6 military people.

and is there 370 english stream interviewees? or is that total number of interviewees?? And i still recall being told that about 200 english stream applicants were granted admission (does that mean ~90 applicants make it off the waitlist?) or am I completely off?

and is there 370 english stream interviewees? or is that total number of interviewees?? And i still recall being told that about 200 english stream applicants were granted admission (does that mean ~90 applicants make it off the waitlist?) or am I completely off?

all i remember from the info session is that about 50-90 ppl make it off the waitlist...

i hope that's true...my interview was quite tough/ challenging...:(

Just wondering if anyone knows why it takes so long to hear back after interviews... if they simply looking at our interview scores, or interview & GP, I'm curious how it can take over a month since the last interview, especially when the CNFS program hears back so quickly (I understand much lower numbers, but still...)

I'd love to get your insights

OttawaUGrad

IT doesn't take the program that long.

They said in the Ottawa info session that they are done far before the May 15th deadline.

However, the may 15th deadline was decided on collectively by Ontario MD schools, so students that got multiple offers, would only accept one program at the same time.

Archived