Premed 101 Forums

A path of uncertainties

Hello ...

I think we all understand that the road to completing an MD degree and residency and all that is long and exciting, but the uncertainties that come with it is pretty daunting. For one thing, upon graduation, we don't even know where the residency training is going to be ... etc

As a mature applicant - married, got house, stable job, blah blah blah ... I am willing to "give up" all those (well, not the marriage :cool: ) to pursue medicine. However, the prospect of relocation after relocation is pretty daunting. Maybe I am just worrying too much ... but I am among those who are in their early 30s ... at the crossroad of thinking about med school + planning a family (a.k.a. kids).

... anyone has similar concerns/thoughts? :rolleyes:

Fishy

I think the possibility of relocation depends on the specialty. If you are going into a very competitive specialty with few spots available, it's unlikely you're gonna get to stay in the area. But if you are applying into a residency with a large # of spots and one that is not wildly competitive, it's very likely that you won't have to leave your city. I can think of scores of people here who stayed in the same city for residency after med.

Hello ...

I think we all understand that the road to completing an MD degree and residency and all that is long and exciting, but the uncertainties that come with it is pretty daunting. For one thing, upon graduation, we don't even know where the residency training is going to be ... etc

I thought you do know where residency training is going to be BEFORE graduation. The match is in march...a few months before graduation...right?

You still know where you are going to be. When you receive your match information, you find out about the specialty and location.

hmm ... maybe I'm not expressing clear enough ... I understand that you know where you are going to end up. But my concern is, you don't always get to choose where you end up. e.g. if I want to specialize in plastic surgery and I want to be in Vancouver ... or if I want to specialize in cardiology and I want to be in Toronto ... etc

Anyway ... as another poster suggested, if you choose a less popular specialty, then yes ... pretty much u can decide where u'll end up; but otherwise ... there is no guarantee. Would you sacrifice location for program? Or would you choose program over location?

I am lucky in the sense that my husband is 100% portable.

OMG ffp...I have been having the worst evening tonight with the interviews and work and school and turning 30 this year LOL...and then I read the above and I have had the giggles for about the past 15 mintues....THANK you for the comic relief...:D

But seriously, I think I am lucky as well that my fiance is totally portable AND really easy going...oh oh they're starting again :) ... i didn't really think about that until you put that out there...it's been sort of a "me,me,me" time for the past 3 years as I went back to school, quit work, and drove my partner absolutely nuts with "don't have time have to study." Plus the lack of a double income doesn't help either... and you feel a bit like you're in "limbo" - we haven't put roots down anywhere b/c my education is up in the air all the time, it gets a bit frustrating but then you sit down and think "what would make me wake up in th emorning and LOVE going to work" and if it's medicine, then it's worth pursuing...actually, another "boardie" reminded me tonight why pursuing your dreams is worth it...and ffp you reitarated that for me:) thanks...

Not only that, but I could end up anywhere in the country! Not knowing for several months was VERY stressful.

Then it was the same thing for my subspecialty fellowship. Now, I'm stressing about where I will do my NEXT subspecialty, and ultimately where I will find a JOB!!!

Family plays an important role. My mom is still upset and does not understand why I have just not gone back home to Calgary (and don't really intend to do so at this point). My husband (although amazingly adaptive and understanding) keeps freaking me out by asking me what I want to do with respect to selling our house, or where I eventually want to live. My answer is always to hysterically scream I DON'T KNOW! because there are still so many unknowns.

Thanks ffp!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are EXACTLY the kind of concerns I have ;)

Unless I have the mentality of a nomad, it could be very stressful ...

Fishy, I hear what you are saying. I have all of the above that you posted too, plus 2 children. We moved our family out of our comfy nest and I took an LOA from my job, to move to Asia for 2 years for my husband's dream. We are back in Canada now. When I look at perhaps having to move to another province for residency that does not daunt me because I know I'll be in Canada still (and not another country). It is surprising how adaptable we all are and providing you are doing it for the right reasons, there will be no regrets. When you have kids they will be better for the diverse experiences and it will make everyone in the family more interesting to say the least......:)

Fishy, I hear what you are saying. I have all of the above that you posted too, plus 2 children. We moved our family out of our comfy nest and I took an LOA from my job, to move to Asia for 2 years for my husband's dream. We are back in Canada now.

Thanks wanttobedoc! Yes ... "comfy nest" is the word for it ... so unbelievably comfy that I am doubting if it's worthwhile to be a doc afterall! I cannot believe it, when I look back and think about the past 2-3 years - studying for MCATss, filling out application forms, writing essays ... all of these while working a full time job + all sorts of fun hobbies ... and NOW, only 2 months away from getting a green light (or red light :eek:) from the school, I am starting to doubt!!! :mad:

But anyway, thanks so much for sharing your own experience. It does help a lot!

All I care is that I end up somewhere close to some major cave-bearing limestone deposits. I think I could live anywhere as long as I have cave exploration as an outlet. My wife is a teacher and is a little less flexible but highly portable (she's only 5'2" :D )

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. My partner isn't too excited about moving, especially if I get an offer from Queens. She works in communications, and living in Kingston probably means she will have to put her career on hold for 4 years. I keep telling her she can work for the correctional institute but she replies, "work is enough like prison already".

For me, the prospect of living in Ontario isn't all that exciting either, my daughter lives in Calgary, and 4.5 hour flights for visits aren't exactly convienent, or cheap.

What it comes down to for me is this is THE dream. I feel that I have held on to it for so long that it is a part of who I am. I met a young oncologist last year, who, upon hearing that I wanted to become a doctor, exclaimed: "Greatest job in the world!" I have used this exuberance to convince myself that all the sacrifices made in this process will pay off.

...and if not, I'll just become totally disillusioned and apply to law school...:eek:

• 1 month later...

I can certainly relate to the uncertainties of where this path shall lead to. However, I've learn't that there is no point worrying about tommorow, because tomorrow has not arrived!

Therefore, I make the most by living in the present and enjoy as much of it as possible. Instead looking further out into the horizon. It certainly raises one's anxiety.

Ciao.

Archived