Premed 101 Forums

Other people...

How did other people's friends do on the mcat, i have a bunch of friends who got 11's, but it seems like a lot of people i know don't like to share how they do in anything, it's pretty odd really, just wondering if other people felt the same way...

How did other people's friends do on the mcat, i have a bunch of friends who got 11's, but it seems like a lot of people i know don't like to share how they do in anything, it's pretty odd really, just wondering if other people felt the same way...

yep. i know a few who are like that....not close friends though.

that sentiment continues into medical school. People here don't share their MCAT, gpa, or even their med school exam marks. Perhaps it is because people don't want to be judged or treated differently based on their numerical marks.

Hey...

if it helps...i got a 33S, and i have a few friends who got around the 10 - 10.25 range. And as far as the kind of people who ask and don't tell...i was taking kaplan classes this summer, and the tendency to be secretive and guarded was nearly unbearable. I guess I believe that true competition is when everyone is on the same page and then people compete and then may the best man/woman win. Most other med bound peeps seem to think that if they can obtain any advantage, they will guard it to no end because it gives them a better chance of getting in than the next person. It's unfortunate really..that a profession steeped in humanity can bring out such negativity in the people who are headed into it. Anyhow...good luck with everything

Yeah it's definitely true, or the "friends" that have old tests but don't mention them...until after the test is over. Sorry this is basically just turning in to a rantfest!

I really wish i knew how my 10 avg compared to everyone else this application cycle, im just staring at the graphs that they used to have posted from 2005 and i have a 50/50 chance, it's so frustrating having to wait 2 more months.

Yeah it's definitely true, or the "friends" that have old tests but don't mention them...until after the test is over. Sorry this is basically just turning in to a rantfest!

I really wish i knew how my 10 avg compared to everyone else this application cycle, im just staring at the graphs that they used to have posted from 2005 and i have a 50/50 chance, it's so frustrating having to wait 2 more months.

From my understanding, the average at the UofM is 10.5. However, this is an average. Since people with ridiculously high scores will be admitted, that will skew the average. People with ridiculously low averages (on par with the ridiculousness of the high averages) won't even be present. Thus, finding out what the median is would be more indicative of where you stand. A friend told me that they were informed that the median was 10.05 from last year(I have not confirmed this number). That would make you slightly below the median, meaning when it comes to just the MCAT, your chances are around 50/50 (even a little less). Thank goodness the other 50% is interview/ECs/GPA.

From my understanding, the average at the UofM is 10.5. However, this is an average. Since people with ridiculously high scores will be admitted, that will skew the average. People with ridiculously low averages (on par with the ridiculousness of the high averages) won't even be present. Thus, finding out what the median is would be more indicative of where you stand. A friend told me that they were informed that the median was 10.05 from last year(I have not confirmed this number). That would make you slightly below the median, meaning when it comes to just the MCAT, your chances are around 50/50 (even a little less). Thank goodness the other 50% is interview/ECs/GPA.

I think he was talking about # accepted vs. # rejected on the graph for 10-10.25 which basically had the same # in either category, thus a 50/50

but a median of 10.05 . . . interesting. wait, how is that possible, shouldn't there be increments of .125 since the smallest increment of the mcat score is .25?

back to the OP, I know a bunch of ppl with 10's exactly (i think 4 or 5), another with 9.75 and another with a rediculous 42! (probably go OOP i bet). Everyone else has fairly low ones that i wouldn't consider them competitive (8-range or somthing)

42?? Yeah I would bet he/she's going OOP as well. For my own sake I hope he/she does...increases my chances of getting into UofM!

she didn't get an interview at dal (her #1) but she had a few in ontario, so she might go there. Which would be good for all of us for the waitlist :D

I think he was talking about # accepted vs. # rejected on the graph for 10-10.25 which basically had the same # in either category, thus a 50/50

but a median of 10.05 . . . interesting. wait, how is that possible, shouldn't there be increments of .125 since the smallest increment of the mcat score is .25?

back to the OP, I know a bunch of ppl with 10's exactly (i think 4 or 5), another with 9.75 and another with a rediculous 42! (probably go OOP i bet). Everyone else has fairly low ones that i wouldn't consider them competitive (8-range or somthing)

Yes...my bad.

Don't worry...I know a few people with less than that. Most of the people I know though have greater than 10.5...but I know some people with less than 10. I think most applicants have around 10 or just under that. You'd be surprised how many people don't hit 30 on the MCAT. It is probably higher than you think.

I was thinking about this the other day...with the emphasis UofM places on the MCAT...I would have thought the MCAT average would be higher. It actually isn't that high compared to other schools that don't give it nearly as much weight. Alberta and Toronto are some examples. I believe UBCs MCAT averages are lower than UofMs...however, they use the MCAT totally differently that UofM does.

I think you have to factor in the interview in a big way too. Keep in mind that people have gotten in with lower scores than you- I know of several who have gotten in with scores in the 9.25 - 9.5 range. I did reasonably well on the MCAT, but I'm going through the same questions you are because of a below average AGPA (3.9) and a very mediocre interview - i think the deadpan stares and psychoanalytic vibe of the interviewers left me assuming the worst to say the least. So...try to think less about it (I know...easier said than done...I've been looking up every possible medical school option here and abroad to no end). And if you do...try to focus on your positives - perhaps you have a good GPA or a stellar interview under your belt. Maybe do some yoga...take a meditation course, work out? I started running again and it's been very helpful. To sound as eastern philosophy influenced/cliched as possible, you've sown your seeds the best you could by studying for the MCAT, making the grades and studying for the interview. the rest - how they "germinate" or turn out - is really not in your hands anymore. Best of luck in any case :)

I'm actually in the opposite position as you samsara...lower MCAT but higher AGPA. Unfortunately for me though, MCAT is worth more than AGPA at the UofM. As for my interview though, I couldn't really tell. The past few days I've been tossing in my bed rethinking my answers, something I shouldn't be doing I know. I'm just going to be working for the next weeks until I get my letter. I am glad to hear though that you know of people who got accepted with an MCAT in the 9's.

I really don't know how my interview went, my committee was extremely nice and made me feel at ease but I just can't be sure! They asked some real toughies but also i think i answered other questions well. My agpa will probably be 4.05ish after this semester so it's "average" i suppose. AGPA however is only 10% so it's hard to say if it really makes that big of a difference. UGH, is there any other situations in life that make you go through agonizing waits...MCAT marks...Acceptances...ugh i heard it's the same thing all over again when residency applications get started.

Deav...

The good thing is that you've got 4 years before the next round of stress comes around :). I was asked some interesting questions...and ironically, the ones that I answered worst were the ones that I had prepared for most comprehensively. C'est la vie. I've been looking at teaching english abroad (China or Mexico) and Canada world youth to get some good experiences in the event that things don't pan out my way this time around. 2 weeks have passed already though, so only 2 more months to go. I'm just hoping I don't get waitlisted...because that would put a damper on summer plans big time.

That's interesting! I heard they're really good about telling you what to improve for the next cycle, so for me ill just do that if i dont get accepted (and definitely hoping they don't tell me to improve the mcat!). Also im going to take some medically related courses at my university next year if things dont work out.

Oh and for this summer...it should be really fun, last summer sucked studying and stressing about the mcat but this is going to be my first summer in two years where there is going to be no stress involved (aside from waiting for manitoba letters)...i dont even know what i'm going to do with all the time on my hands and no stress from school!

I found out that the entire evaluation of the PAS is done after the interview. It made me wonder if the references/EC's/personal sketch pretty much just serve to explore any red flags that might come up during the application review. The points are going to be given after the interview...so i think that a good interview can really make you...other factors notwithstanding. And btw...have any of you guys applied elsewhere other than Manitoba?

I only applied to U of M as well...i really don't want to go anywhere else to be honest and am willing to take a couple of years to try for this school.

Hey now, they told me they liked my sketch too! Maybe they said that to everyone!

I thought I'd add to this growing thread with just over a month and a bit to go. When you think about the MCAT scores looked at by most schools, being in the 80th percentile or one being 'more knowledgable' than four others writing the exam. Its the best way to hollistically rate everybody, as some may take Basket Weaving at Klown College and others Nanotech at Ivy League. U of M probably takes this into great account as well as they want to see that you will succeed with all the courses (thus 50%).

Personally I feel 'safe' with a 31R = 10.75 at U of M (I am thinking about writing again though), but for those with 9's it may be a good time to think about redoing the MCAT as hellish as it may be. I had to once because of VR. Its no big deal other than one year of doing something else if MCAT was your Achilles. Because of the MCAT retooling, the experience is much better as the Computer Testing centres are much more of a relaxing environment to write in compared to the written ones. As well, you can get your mark back before the next application cycle and evaluate yourself from there. Definitely don't give up though, even though this cycle might look gloomy!

As for the PAS, it is probably true that the score is done after the interview. Its hollistic so they take everything into account to some degree. For those of you who think your interview may have gone bad, don't fret so much. Your references may have saved you. The interviewers read them and that will affect the score they help develop about you especially when they compare your personality they experience compared to what others have said about you. As for sketches at all schools, I think and have heard that it is more of a conversation piece for your interview such that they can verify if you are who you say you are. EC's and research probably help to a degree, but unless somehow they are described in detail or interpreted, they may not hold much bearing.

I definitely wish that I had or that they posted that 4 chart pdf from last year again to put a little ease to mind for everybody who has applied. Does anybody have it?

I have the chart for 2005 AGPA - MCAT stats in case anyone wants it. nirvana_samsara@hotmail.com. I posted this bit of information i gleaned from the graph on another forum..with an MCAT score above 10.5, i think (from my reading of the graph) that about 45 were admitted and 6-7 rejected. Which makes for fairly good odds. And as the previous poster mentioned, those hovering around the mid 9's will probably want to write it again unless they have great EC's/solid AGPA and a great interview to bank on.

Archived