Premed 101 Forums

clueless about nserc

citrinez

Honestly though...it helps to know the prof beforehand. For example, when I did mine last year...I wanted a protein chemistry lab, went to the prof beforehand and was placed in his lab.

Another friend of mine said put me anywhere, and he ended up in Plant Science. There is nothing wrong with plant science (they gave us canola), however, he hated it. He didn't have as an exciting of a summer, to say the least. So, it is not necessary...but it is better to know where you will be. But remember, it could also go the other way and be an amazing experience. You take a chance.

At my school, you go to see the professor before hand to come up with an interesting proposal for a project (one that you don't necessarily have to stick to), and then they can choose to take you on or not, based on whether you get NSERC funding or if they have to fund you themselves.

is NSERC necessary to get into med school i see it in every1 profile theses days

It is not necessary. However, a large number of applicants (not all) participiate in some form of scientific research. Since premeds tend to have high GPAs, applying for NSERC is an easy in for research. The application is essentially based on GPA (at least at my school), supervisors will want you so you don't have to do too much running around, and the pay is decent. A some schools, they will add a substantial amount on top of the minimum 25%, so it can pretty sweet.

It is not necessary. However, a large number of applicants (not all) participiate in some form of scientific research. Since premeds tend to have high GPAs, applying for NSERC is an easy in for research. The application is essentially based on GPA (at least at my school), supervisors will want you so you don't have to do too much running around, and the pay is decent. A some schools, they will add a substantial amount on top of the minimum 25%, so it can pretty sweet.

you sure Kuantum? last time i calculated it, it was possible to get less than mimimum wage doing an NSERC. if you do like 8hrs a day, 5days a week for 20weeks, its like what, ~800hrs. I think profs usually max about 6000 dollars right?

so 6000$/800hrs = 7.5$/hr. i might have blown the math tho.

but whatever, you dont do an NSERC for the money. if you can, do it. i would say that most pre-meds do an nserc because its the best way to add research to your sketch without going out of your way.

It is actually 16 weeks at 35 hours per week. At my university, I've heard of people getting $8000 (engineering and physics, neither of which i am in :(). So $8000/560 hours is $14.29/hour at the max. Sure, this is still not the greatest and I'm sure the times fluctuate...I probably worked more than 40 hours some weeks and less than 35 some weeks...but compared to the other jobs I could have been doing...I'm pretty satisfied. Considering that I learned a bunch too, I'm quite happy about about doing an NSERC.

It is actually 16 weeks at 35 hours per week. At my university, I've heard of people getting $8000 (engineering and physics, neither of which i am in :(). So $8000/560 hours is $14.29/hour at the max. Sure, this is still not the greatest and I'm sure the times fluctuate...I probably worked more than 40 hours some weeks and less than 35 some weeks...but compared to the other jobs I could have been doing...I'm pretty satisfied. Considering that I learned a bunch too, I'm quite happy about about doing an NSERC.

oh, ya, youre right -- i was thinking of the whole summer, which is ~20 weeks. NSERC is scheduled for 16. i never got one though to be honest. i think it would have been nice, even though i got an external research job without the actual "award".

i dont know anyone at my school getting 8000$. 14.25$ but as you say, it may be an engineering thing.

in the end, what youre saying is NSERC was a good experience, and i think thats what i'd recommend for other premeds, too.

In my department we get $8500...which works out to about $15.18/hr...but honestly, who's counting? (I'm in engneering by the way). The reason for this is, a decent engineering summer job will get you about $13000 to $20000 for the summer...so they have to at least TRY and make the NSERC worth it.

But it can't be that bad in other departments...I know Chemistry offers $8000 at my school.

Archived