Premed 101 Forums

Anyone taken chem222 at mcgill?

citrinez

I'm thinking of taking CHEM222 (with lab)-- Organic Chem II, at mcgill this summer. It is a one month course, and the prof is Joseph A Schwarz, and the lab coordinator is Michael Daoust. Has anyone taken this before, or know anything about the profs? Marking Scheme etc.? Thoughts?

Dr. Schwarz was one of my favourite profs at McGill! He makes org chem interesting because he tries to link the material to real life examples. He is a really engaging prof - he even has his own television segment on the BBC. Michael Daoust is also a good lab coordinator - no complaints there. I think the marking scheme was fairly typical -two midterms, lab quizzes, lab reports and a final. I'm pretty sure there were two % breakdowns based on whether you did better on the final or the midterms.

Hey

I am taking Org 2 right now, and its a pretty brutal course. Schartz is the best of the profs, but in the summer its 1 intensive month, so that means no job and it also means you have 24 hours to study for the final. The labs are not the shortest nor the easiest and it is a time consuming course to take during the year. Also, beware, some advisors will tell you not to take the course during the summer, as it doesn't look good. I however don't know how true that is...

Hope this helps.

I know that the final for the winter session is cumulative, with focus from the last part of the class (aka stuff not tested on midterms). Midterms are worth 20 % each, labs are 25 % and so the rest ie 65% is final exam. I however cannot answer as to the summer session, but you should definitely contact prof schwartz about all this. He usually replies really fast. You can find his contact info in the McGill staff directory.

hope this helps

Archived