Premed 101 Forums

Radiology vs pathology

I don't think radiology and pathology are that similar. Pathology relies on histology, makes the final definitive tissue diagnosis and involves no patient contact. Radiology relies on physics, can build a differential based on image findings, and can involve patient contact (albeit superficial).

I don't think it's particularly true that pathologists have a worse reputation than radiologists. I think in general both specialties suffer from lack of respect. I think this is unfortunate because both fields are critical in patient care and management.

I really think medical students should be exposed further to these fields, whether through elective time, or maybe sometime in the future, through core rotations. It's a pet peeve of mine when people judge specialties without spending any significant time in them at all. Especially since the stereotypes surrounding radiology aren't holding true anymore, what with interventional expanding so rapidly and radiology residents having very busy call throughout their four years of training.

Be nice to the radiologists and pathologists! Be nice to everyone!

Hi,

During the CaRMS tour I discovered that one Radiology program's call schedule is 1 in 11 and another's is 1 in 16. Unbelievable.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Did the residents there feel that they were seeing enough cases to give them the knowledge base they needed for practice?

Did the residents there feel that they were seeing enough cases to give them the knowledge base they needed for practice?

Hi,

Yes, they did note that they felt that they saw plenty of cases (and their Royal College pass rates seem to support that sentiment). Most probably because, when on call, Radiology residents are some of the busiest out there, i.e., there's little sleeping going on when on Radiology call.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

radiology is notoriously the busiest service on call... regardless of the call frequency, when you're on call you work! there is however a perceived lack of understanding of this fact among the other services. there needs to be a collective improvement in the ways different services interact with one another...we're all in the same slog.

Archived