Premed 101 Forums

CBC values

Help guys?

Fatigue and heres the CBC counts? I thought it is probbaly some infection, any other thoughts?

WBC 3.40 k/ul 5.70 - 10.00

NEU 1.30 K.UL 1.40 - 6.50

NEU % 39.00 % 41.80 - 76.20

LYM 1.60 k/ul 1.20 - 3.40

LYM % 46.10 % 22.70 - 35.50

MONO 0.400 k/ul 0.000 - 0.900

MONO % 12.30 % 0.00 - 9.50

Im no med student, but what about hyperadrenocorticism?

You can't be serious...

This is a perfect example of why this is not the place to be looking for medical advice. Speak to the doctor who ordered this test for you. He/she will interpret it (along with the rest of the CBC which you failed to post) in the context of your past health and current clinical picture.

Phew...lol...I'm glad :)

Low WBC count could be bone marrow disease (eg. leukemia), some viral infections, sepsis, immunosuppression...and um...I dunno what else.

The differential you gave is so close to normal that I don't think it tells you much, other than if there is any trouble such as leukemia (which I doubt, given most of the numbers are normal), it is more likely to be with the myeloid cell lines as opposed to the lymphoid lines.

In the setting of fatigue...in most cases I think a physician would be doing a CBC to look at the hemoglobin as opposed to the white cells. Obviously a bone marrow neoplasm could cause fatigue, but anemia is a way way more common cause of this symptom :) I suppose one could be looking for Mono...but if that is the working diagnosis, a CBC isn't the diagnostic test of choice imo.

Whoaaa, I was throwing something out there....ahahaha after a google search...No need to get upset JewelLeigh....ahahaha just in good fun

It isn't in good fun when someone is trying to get medical advice from people who potentially have no medical training whatsoever and it is even worse when someone responds with an obviously non-educated reply. Suggesting to someone that they might have a fairly worrisome syndrome isn't to be taken lightly! Luckily it was for an exam question, but that wasn't clear with the OP.

Advice for the future: be careful where you look on the internet. Google doesn't screen for accuracy of results and there is a lot of crap out there! Cushing Syndrome (i.e. hyperadrenocorticism) is in no way characterized by a low WBC count or neutropenia and in fact can cause the WBC count to be normal, high OR low. So when a medical professional sees a low WBC count, Cushing's does not pop to the front of their mind I don't think!

Random googling and suggesting of rare conditions without any clinical knowledge of the case are a surefire way to initiate a lot of anxiety. I didn't mean to jump on your back, but I really think this is not the place to be looking for or giving medical advice, particularly when Google is your only source of knowledge :)

It isn't in good fun when someone is trying to get medical advice from people who potentially have no medical training whatsoever and it is even worse when someone responds with an obviously non-educated reply. Suggesting to someone that they might have a fairly worrisome syndrome isn't to be taken lightly! Luckily it was for an exam question, but that wasn't clear with the OP.

Advice for the future: be careful where you look on the internet. Google doesn't screen for accuracy of results and there is a lot of crap out there! Cushing Syndrome (i.e. hyperadrenocorticism) is in no way characterized by a low WBC count or neutropenia and in fact can cause the WBC count to be normal, high OR low. So when a medical professional sees a low WBC count, Cushing's does not pop to the front of their mind I don't think!

Random googling and suggesting of rare conditions without any clinical knowledge of the case are a surefire way to initiate a lot of anxiety. I didn't mean to jump on your back, but I really think this is not the place to be looking for or giving medical advice, particularly when Google is your only source of knowledge :)

It's all good!!! Thanks for the info! All the best in finishing your studies!

Besides PWND DeeDoc, this is really funny. That's not a CBC, a white count and partial differential.

The ONLY thing I can say is, low WBC/neutropenia. I agree with the differential of my collegue. I also agree even more on "this is not the place for medical advice".

In a real CBC, you look for wbc (+diff), hgb, plts, htc, MCV...

Unless the counts are through the roof or very low (even then) there can be a myriad of conditions showing this picture.

It's always good to start with Hx/Px...

Good luck, you'll be none the wiser anyways.

noncestvrai

Help guys?

Fatigue and heres the CBC counts? I thought it is probbaly some infection, any other thoughts?

WBC 3.40 k/ul 5.70 - 10.00

NEU 1.30 K.UL 1.40 - 6.50

NEU % 39.00 % 41.80 - 76.20

LYM 1.60 k/ul 1.20 - 3.40

LYM % 46.10 % 22.70 - 35.50

MONO 0.400 k/ul 0.000 - 0.900

MONO % 12.30 % 0.00 - 9.50

How are you supposed to even start at figuring out what is going on from just white count and a complaint of fatigue? :o

Archived