Premed 101 Forums

Finish my degree or not?

Hi, I was woundering, I applied in other program this year (dentistry, pharm and opto). If I get in one of these 3, do I increase my chances getting in med school or should I finish my degree and apply as a 4th year student?

I'm not too sure I understand your situation YK4, are you a 3rd year Science student right now? Have you already applied to med school? Why did you apply to these other disciplines?

Cheers,

wassabi

Not content with the lack of focus in his/her own life, the OP has already asked a similar question in a similarly incoherent manner in the general forum:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21131

That thread seems to have degenerated into a bit of mayhem. I'm not sure that we need an encore.

pb

Yes, I am a 3rd year student. I applied at ottawa, I did not receive an interview. But i received one in montreal.

One of these 3 should give me a better preparation for med school right because they are a related field?

to ploughboy

I already did 3 med interviews when I applied from the cegep and did not get in. I want to get in so bad (like everyone) and I don't know if I should go into a related field and continue trying for med. This way, I know that in 4 years, I will have done something that I might use it (I am thinking about optometry). I do not want to do a master in science.

Hi,

When I graduated from CEGEP, I thought that optometry would be a viable second option to medicine. I was accepted into pre-optometry and spent a semester in the program. I was absolutely miserable because I felt that I had prematurely abandoned my goal of becoming a physician. Optometry is very different from medicine and you should seriously think about whether it is a viable second option for you.

The biggest issue with pre-med people going into other health programs while they wait to get into medicine is that they are taking the spot of others who really do want to pursue careers in optometry, pharmacy, etc. When I entered the program, I sincerely thought that optometry could be suitable for me. However, I was quite young and soon realized that I wasn't in the right place. The school really appreciated my early departure since they gave someone else my spot for the following year.

If you know that you want to study medicine, I would highly discourage you from accepting an offer from one of these alternate programs. If your heart is with medicine, you will be very unhappy (trust me I know) and you will be taking the place of someone who sincerely wants to become an optometrist, etc. Furthermore, I do not think that it would help your medicine application.

Good luck!

Hi,

When I graduated from CEGEP, I thought that optometry would be a viable second option to medicine. I was accepted into pre-optometry and spent a semester in the program. I was absolutely miserable because I felt that I had prematurely abandoned my goal of becoming a physician. Optometry is very different from medicine and you should seriously think about whether it is a viable second option for you.

The biggest issue with pre-med people going into other health programs while they wait to get into medicine is that they are taking the spot of others who really do want to pursue careers in optometry, pharmacy, etc. When I entered the program, I sincerely thought that optometry could be suitable for me. However, I was quite young and soon realized that I wasn't in the right place. The school really appreciated my early departure since they gave someone else my spot for the following year.

If you know that you want to study medicine, I would highly discourage you from accepting an offer from one of these alternate programs. If your heart is with medicine, you will be very unhappy (trust me I know) and you will be taking the place of someone who sincerely wants to become an optometrist, etc. Furthermore, I do not think that it would help your medicine application.

Good luck!

Thanks, really helpfull post!

Yes, I am a 3rd year student. I applied at ottawa, I did not receive an interview. But i received one in montreal.

One of these 3 should give me a better preparation for med school right because they are a related field?

to ploughboy

I already did 3 med interviews when I applied from the cegep and did not get in. I want to get in so bad (like everyone) and I don't know if I should go into a related field and continue trying for med. This way, I know that in 4 years, I will have done something that I might use it (I am thinking about optometry). I do not want to do a master in science.

I wouldn't really worry right now about what gives you a better background for medicine. There are people in our class who have very little science background and they're doing just fine. Take whatever program you'd enjoy most and that you'd be happy working in as a profession incase you don't get into medicine.

For the record, we only get 4 days of ophtho lectures in our first 2 years.

Hey Yk4

If your goal is to enter medicine, I would suggest evaluating where your application was lacking. Then focus on filling in the gaps.

Going to other professional schools, if you really don`t want to do it, probably isn`t your best option. This is for several reasons which include (but are not limited to) the following: if you don`t get into meds you will be stuck in a career you don`t enjoy and it may not be what is going to help you fill in the gaps in your application.

If the other professional schools truly interest you, then explore them a bit. Do some shadowing and see if you could see yourself doing that for the rest of your life. If so, go for it, apply...and if you get in you may enjoy it and not even want meds. But if you know you won`t like it, then there are many other things you could do with your time and money then go through a professional program that isn`t for you.

Good luck

Sats

Yeah, I will probably do that. The thing is that im at my 4th interview (3 when i was in cegep and another one this year in montreal. If I don't get in this time, I will give it another try for the last time next year.

Archived