Premed 101 Forums

anyone have occupational therapy stats?

I'm looking into this for a friend, and I can't seem to find too much info on occupational therapy schools in terms of their admission gpa stats, salary, and various other general types of info. I checked out websites for schools, but unless the info is hidden somwhere, I really haven't found stats for admissions. Has anyone else come across any useful info i can show her?

I'm an OT that graduated from UBC. When I graduated (1999) it was a degree program but I guess all schools in North America are now Masters. So you require a degree to get in. I'm sure the stats have changed a bit and just like medical school it depends on which school you are looking at getting into. They all have different criteria and number of seats. When I got into UBC there were 35 seats available and about 250 or so had applied that year. They interview twice as many as they accept (so 70 were interviewed for 35 spots). Everyone has different backgrounds and degrees they came in with. I had a Biology degree, many had Kinesiology and a few Psych. Out of the 35 of us, there were only 5 or so males in my class. I had to have done at least 70 hours of person related/medical volunteer work. At least a B+ average....and there were some prerequistes like Stats, Biology, etc....(each school slightly different).

You have potential to make more money if you work privately and/or in worker disability rehab. In the hospital system in BC you make up to about 65,000 gross per year for full-time work...maybe a little more...

I know some private OTs that make closer to 100,000/year.

You can leave your work at work (not take it home with you) which is nice....or some private OTs actually work out of their homes (writing up case reports after consults etc...)

and good benefits and start out with 4 weeks paid vacation per year.....(after 5 years of working, an extra vacation day is added on each year)....

I would tell your friend to contact the school she is looking into directly. The link for Occuaptional Therapy school at UBC is found under the same link as UBC Medicine.

Jade,

It is pretty similar to the structure and content of the med interview except I was only interviewed by 2 interviewers instead of 3 (at UBC). One was a professor and the other an Ot Clinician or prominent advocate from the community. It was about the same time allotment too. I would advise doing your research on what OT actually encompasses in practise. I did most of my community volunteer work with a physiotherapist working with children, and then with young men who have Duchenne's MD. I did not have a lot of one to one "OT" time....so, I spent some time researching it, going to websites etc.....(CAOT, BCOT, etc....). I 'interviewed' a couple of OTs prior too. There are many different areas OTs can work in and thus different expertises (paediatrics, psychiatry, orthopaedics, neuro (brain injury and spinal cord), geriatric ECU facilities, private, worker rehab, burns...etc......). Hope this helps. You can PM me if you like.....

I had a UBC physiotherapy interview in March (and will be starting the program in September, if I'm not accepted into med school). It was really similar to med school interviews - a panel of three: a faculty member, physiotherapist, and 2nd year physiotherapy student and went for around 45 minutes asking basic questions: why do you want to be a PT, what experience do you have relative, working with different cultures, a time going above & beyond expectations, dealing with conflict, etc. Then there was a series of ethical questions. I'm not sure if this will help, but I'm guessing the occupational therapy interviews would be set up in a similar structure. There are 48 spots this year, and I believe they interviewed around 100 people. I believe the cut-off for an interview in previous years for Physio was between 80-82 on 300 and 400 level courses.

Archived