Premed 101 Forums

Chances Post Interview

Though I'm sure this has been mentioned before in this forum, I was wondering how many interviews Queen's does for medicine. I know that there are 100 spots (right?), so, all things being equal, what are the chances of getting a spot? Also, does anyone know how many people they usually put on the wait list and how much the wait list moves in any given year? I know that there is probably no definitive answer to these last questions, but I thought I would ask anyhow. A general ball-park figure would be great if anyone happens to know.

I find myself really unable to think about much else these days. Queen's is my first choice (of very few) and I'm trying not to invest too much in this forum until I find out for sure if I have a spot.

The 15th of May is so very far away.

>>Though I'm sure this has been mentioned before in this forum, I was wondering how many interviews Queen's does for medicine

Word on the street is 540 people were interviewed this year. That's up 50-60

from last year (according to Queen's own published numbers).

>>I know that there are 100 spots (right?),

Correct

>>so, all things being equal, what are the chances of getting a spot? Also, does anyone know how many people they usually put >>on the wait list

I've been told by admissions that if you are NOT one of the interviewed candidates that receives an offer straight away on May 15th, then you are on the waitlist - in other words, there are no outright rejections post-interview.

>>and how much the wait list moves in any given year?

Highly variable. I think someone posted on one ofthese boards that Queen's went as far as almost 100 people into the waitlist (too lazy to confirm right now). At the least, Queen's has a reputation for "not getting the candidates that they want" - ie, they're not getting as many first choice accentances of their offers of admission as they would like. (NOTE: that's not to say that the people admitted to Queen's are somehow less qualified or scholastically lacklustre; Queen's sets very high standards, such that ppl accepted to Queen's are often also accepted elsewhere). They've interviewed more candidates while keeping standards high; there may be a lot of movement (say 50+), or there may be only little to moderate movement. Course, all 100 initial offers may be accepted :eek:

>>The 15th of May is so very far away.

It's only 31/2 weeks or so away. That's 2 weeks sooner than it used to be. Keep yourself busy, learn something new, it'll pass in a flash.

k

Here is the information I received from a friend who is currently a Queen's medical student. This year they interviewed 530 students. They will be increasing the class size to 106 students. The year she entered they went to 180 on the wait list for 100 students. The year after they didn't have to go as far down on the wait list to fill the class. Remember that many students are interviewing at more than one school and may get multiple offers. As soon as they make their choice their name is taken off the other lists and the wait list moves.

Hey all,

Thanks for the information regarding the chances of being accepted at Queen's. I am frightened of two things: 1) Not getting into med school in Canada entirely and 2) being waitlisted and being forced to accept an overseas offer to study when it is entirely possible a spot will open up at a Canadian med school. So while I eagerly wait for May 15th, I really hope that the news that day is positive because I'm not sure how long I'm allowed to hold out on my other offers.

Anyhow, once again, thanks so much for all the input and best of luck to those who, like myself, are waiting.

there is a handbook published with all the info... i believe last year there were 99 people that moved off the waitlist... the link to the handbook is on these forums somewhere... possibly on the UWO forums...

the way I look at it, is that Queens and UWO have very similar requirements; provided that you're not just barely making the cutoffs for one school, you'll probably get interviews at both. Queens takes 100 students and has a waitlist that moves almost that much, so ~200 people are 'accepted' by Queens. UWO takes around 150 i believe, and has a waitlist that moves by ~50-60 spots, so again, ~200 people are 'accepted' by UWO. Both schools interview around 400-500 students I've heard. Given their very comparable requirements, i'd assume that a lot of these people are in fact the same people. So of the 600 or so people interviewed by both schools (assuming a large overlap) 400 or so get in somewhere. That's a 66% chance of getting in at best, and I'd say about a coin toss at worst. I hope that helps alleviate some concern... GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!! May 15th is closer than you think!

Aside from UWO, a bunch of interviewees may also have interviews at Toronto so there's probably a bit of overlap there. The applicant pool for Mac and Ottawa might be a bit different due to the no MCAT and Ottawa's bilingual thing. The applicant pool for non-Ontario schools may also be a bit different because of OOP kinds of things. But I think a lot of non-Ontario people with the appropriate stats apply to Queen's because it doesn't discriminate IP and OOP. So when you add up all these people, it's not really surprising that the waitlist moves considerably. (Plus, those people who interview well probably interview well at all schools so they will be at the top of other schools' lists too).

yeah, i know when i interviewed at queens, virtually everyone i met was from vancouver or somewhere out west... however if you look at their class statistics, only about 6 or 8 are from BC, so many probably don't want to come all the way to ontario if they have the choice.

there is a handbook published with all the info... i believe last year there were 99 people that moved off the waitlist... the link to the handbook is on these forums somewhere... possibly on the UWO forums...

the way I look at it, is that Queens and UWO have very similar requirements; provided that you're not just barely making the cutoffs for one school, you'll probably get interviews at both. Queens takes 100 students and has a waitlist that moves almost that much, so ~200 people are 'accepted' by Queens. UWO takes around 150 i believe, and has a waitlist that moves by ~50-60 spots, so again, ~200 people are 'accepted' by UWO. Both schools interview around 400-500 students I've heard. Given their very comparable requirements, i'd assume that a lot of these people are in fact the same people. So of the 600 or so people interviewed by both schools (assuming a large overlap) 400 or so get in somewhere. That's a 66% chance of getting in at best, and I'd say about a coin toss at worst. I hope that helps alleviate some concern... GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!! May 15th is closer than you think!

Wow! This is really impressive. I can see that you've put a lot of time and effort into this analysis. A worthy way to procrastinate, if I do say so.

I hope that we both receive good news on the 15th.

I did some digging and found a source for offers of admission for Queen's in several years.

PDF format:

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergrad/assets/2007_lcme_task_force_final.pdf

scroll to pg 39, Table 7

Actually, if you REALLY wanna kill some time, pour a coffee and have a read of the other various accreditation materials Queen's has posted. Interesting stuff.

k

If you're worried about having to accept/decline other offers while being on the waitlist, you can always contact the Queen's undergrad office and beg to get a better picture of your chances. I was waiting for May 15th last year (and I don't envy you guys that wait, it was ROUGH!), planning to do a masters if i didnt get in. May 15th came and I was on the waitlist, along w EVERYONE ELSE who interviewed and didn't get an offer of admission. My potential master's supervisor was very antsy to get me started on the masters RIGHT AWAY, so I wrote the undergrad office and explained the situation. In response (and I love them for doing this) I was told that while they couldn't guarantee anything, I was in the top 25% of the waitlist and would probably be hearing from them soon. A couple weeks later, I did (and did a happy dance). :D ahhh that happy happy day. (I'm currently studying for end-of-year exams so it does me good to reminise about how happy I was to get in.........)

Anyways, May 15th isn't here yet. Maybe it will be a moo point after all (a moo point? its like a cow's opinion. it doesnt matter!)

I did some digging and found a source for offers of admission for Queen's in several years.

PDF format:

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergrad/assets/2007_lcme_task_force_final.pdf

scroll to pg 39, Table 7

Actually, if you REALLY wanna kill some time, pour a coffee and have a read of the other various accreditation materials Queen's has posted. Interesting stuff.

k

Heh. I read large portions of the accreditation papers for every school I interviewed at as preparation. We'll see if it did me any good...

In terms of Queen's, your chances of getting an acceptance post-interview are 38±5%. My estimate assumes that all applicants are equal and is based on the last seven years of admissions data as available in the accreditation documents.

As has been pointed out, however, your chances of getting in are actually higher, simply because a number of people move off the waitlist by getting accepted into other schools. I could have made a better estimate if I knew how many people were left on the waitlist at the end of the admissions process, but such data are not available.

Wow! This is really impressive. I can see that you've put a lot of time and effort into this analysis. A worthy way to procrastinate, if I do say so.

I hope that we both receive good news on the 15th.

hahaha thanks! hope to see you next year in kingston :P ugh... now why can't i start studying for finals?? oh right... the procrastination thing...

Heh. I read large portions of the accreditation papers for every school I interviewed at as preparation. We'll see if it did me any good...

In terms of Queen's, your chances of getting an acceptance post-interview are 38±5%. My estimate assumes that all applicants are equal and is based on the last seven years of admissions data as available in the accreditation documents.

As has been pointed out, however, your chances of getting in are actually higher, simply because a number of people move off the waitlist by getting accepted into other schools. I could have made a better estimate if I knew how many people were left on the waitlist at the end of the admissions process, but such data are not available.

Wow, I wish I had that much time on my hands to make such predictions!

On http://www.afmc.ca/docs/2007_admissions_book.pdf, it says Queen's makes offers on May 31st... is this correct?

Isn't everyone else May 15th?

it must be a typo, (which i picked up on as well) i think at one point in time all the schools responded on the 31st, but they've now changed it to the 15th.

By the way... i'm too lazy to go look for the info, but when do applicants have to accept their offers by? (= when a lot of ppl will come off the waitinglist :P)

it must be a typo, (which i picked up on as well) i think at one point in time all the schools responded on the 31st, but they've now changed it to the 15th.

By the way... i'm too lazy to go look for the info, but when do applicants have to accept their offers by? (= when a lot of ppl will come off the waitinglist :P)

june 8th ... it says on the omsas website. thats when all conditional acceptances become firm ones, and you get pulled off of all other wait lists in ontario. if you arent in anywhere yet you stay on the list obviously.

june seems a little early for conditional acceptances to become firm... last year we heard from the schools on may 15th, had to respond by the 31st, and then conditional acceptances became firm on july 2nd. maybe they changed it? that would really suck for people holding out for their top choice. but then again, if you get in anywhere, that's awesome enough already. although that's coming from someone who held out for and got their 1st choice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived